Algae Issues after Adding Live Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haykay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I used to get comments all the time about how algea free all my tanks were, but ever since i planted I've had a little bit, and I always seem to get a bit of the brown algea on my otherr tanks, but it's super easy to wipe it of at w/c time!

I used to get comments all the time about how algea free all my tanks were, but ever since i planted I've had a little bit, and I always seem to get a bit of the brown algea on my otherr tanks, but it's super easy to wipe it of at w/c time!

Do you Fertilize your plants? NPK? Using ferts in a balanced way will make the plants grow fast outcompeting the algae for food.
Result: the algae starves and disappears.

hmm.. I have been adding flourish once a week should I do it more? i know I need to get a bit more nitrogen in my tank as I have not once got even a small nitrate reading.. i pulled out the clumps but im nopt sure what to do about whats growning ON the plants?
should i get more tests? I have API master adn KH and GH and thats it..
HELP! my tank is beautiful and I have new growth but not on all the plants, actually my lower light plants are the ones that seem to be suffering...
FYI I have a hint more than 2 wpf, heavy planted, driftwood and one HOB filter on one side think im going to get one more smaller one this weekend to add to the oxygen

hmm.. I have been adding flourish once a week should I do it more? i know I need to get a bit more nitrogen in my tank as I have not once got even a small nitrate reading.. i pulled out the clumps but im nopt sure what to do about whats growning ON the plants?
should i get more tests? I have API master adn KH and GH and thats it..
HELP! my tank is beautiful and I have new growth but not on all the plants, actually my lower light plants are the ones that seem to be suffering...
FYI I have a hint more than 2 wpf, heavy planted, driftwood and one HOB filter on one side think im going to get one more smaller one this weekend to add to the oxygen

Need to know more about your tank parameters.
Size of tank, cycled?, how long set up, etc,.
ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate readings.
type and number of fish

Adding nitrogen does not add nitrate. You get that from your cycle and if you are low or the plants have used up all available nitrate you will be in for an algae outbreak. Keep your nitrate level at 10 - 20 ppm. Phosphate level at 0.5 - 1.5 ppm. CO2 (if you are adding it) at 30 ppm (a total drop of 1 on the pH scale)
Invest in dry fertilizers instead of flourish whatever. Its MUCH cheaper.
Spending $20-30 on a pocket scale that reads in 1/10 grams helps immensely to measure out the correct quantities of ferts.
You may want to start injecting CO2 for better plant growth. The initial investment is heavy... after that, its only about $15 to refill a tank that might last 8 months.

thanks kimo I certainly will heed your advice.
okay
55gallon heavily planted (was an idiot and left my canopy on for the first week finally took it off)
added filter pads from my 125gal that has been up and gowing great for over a year
have never had any readings of ammonia, nitrite or trAtes (i silent cycled though plants first everything else second and slow)
has been set up with plants for 2 months had 10 endlers for the first month and then added about 10 guppies after Qting for a month and a week (was worried a bit about the non reading). still no readings
I tested all my other tanks to make sure it wasn't my kit, I get readings in them
went to the privatly owned LFS today and talked with them.. he suggested waiting another month for co2 (something about putting my platns on "steriods" too fast)

I pulled out the major clumps of algea and they have not come back have new growth on all my plants now that I pulled of the canopy... where do i get a phosphate test? I looked around for it today and didn't see it
by the way should I stop doing my w/c until I see a ready or keep em up? Never had this problem before although I do find myself wanting to do more w/c than necessary

You can get your phosphate kit from Dr. Foster & Smith website...

Pet Supplies, Dog Supplies, Cat Supplies, Pet Meds & Pet Products

One of the test kit part numbers is: AGN-27184 $7.79 for 50 tests.

Another thing is for adding iron supplements...

I tried using the Flourish iron brand for iron and it clouded up my water for over 6 weeks in the 150g (at recommended dose). If you can find it, use CORALIFE iron supplement. It works much better and won't cloud things up.

10 Endlers and 10 Guppies shouldn't make a dent in your 55g as far as nitrite/nitrate is concerned. All of those add up to a body mass of only a few 3" fish of normal size.

I have more than 200 adult guppies and probably 400-500 fry << take those out as they appear at least once a week in my 150g (124.8g actual water volume), tank has been setup for 10 yrs and I only do water changes (50%) 2-3x a year. Tank is getting to be heavily planted now and with all the fertilization thats going on probably will have to do monthly water changes from now on. Have no algae issues except a little green spot algae near the lights and one tiny 1x2" soft green algae unidentified patch on one of the boulders that hasn't spread or grown at all. The ferts keep that in check really well and the RCS (seeded with about 30) munch on it all day. Do have a patch of Java moss thats about 3 x 1.5 ft. Looks really nice. The crinum is growing good too. One bulb has already quadrupled and is about 42" long.
One secret is using porous lava rock (collected in the desert). Provides plenty of hiding places for the bacteria and other microscopic things. I can go on a trip and not have to feed the fish for 3 months and they do great.

hmm I will see about ordering that kit and getting coralife iron.
I had a feeling it was way understocked.. perhaps I'll back off on water changeds until I start getting readings?

It's just so bizaire to me that this is the only tank having these troubles

There will always be "one of those tanks" where nothing goes right. Thats one way you build experience. Main thing is not to worry about it. It might take a little longer but in the end it will stabilize.

Water changes 10-20% weekly or monthly... is plenty.

Putting your plants on steroids is a good thing, not a bad thing. LFS doesn't know what he's talking about - he is trying to treat it as a fish tank, and not a planted tank. This is sort of like the "turn the lights off" answer to all problems.... sooner or later, lights go back on, problems return.

In high-light high-tech setups, there is a trick used to stay clear of algae at setup - wait to put any livestock in, and absolutely crank CO2. We had a guy experienced in fish but new to planted tanks set up a tank - he was flabberghasted it worked. ;) You push the plants to grow like crazy and use all nutrients, get them established, then slow it down some and add the livestock.

How much light is over the tank? Of what kind?

Something is out of balance, and it usually has to do with available light being balanced to plant mass and ferts.

I started it with just about 1.5wpg and a hood on.. after 1 week i upgraded to almost 3 wpg no hood :Includes dual phosphor SmartPaq (10000°K daylight and 460 nanometer actinic) ... do I have the wrong bulbs for freshwater? I think because all in all there was about 2 weeks of bad light choices on my part before I upgraded it to 3wpg. I noticed the algea sprouting about 2 days before i upgraded the light.. cool thing is it doesn't seem to be coming back nearly as quickly or maybe at all

Actinic light is meant for saltwater aquariums. There's some disagreement over whether or not it has an benefit in a freshwater setting. You'll probably have better luck with something in the 5000K - 10000K range, which also tends to look better over planted aquariums.

I don't see any mention of using CO2 on your aquarium. Generally once you get more than 2WPG you need to start injecting CO2 along with a full fert regime to keep things in balance and the algae away.

Keep your Nitrate readings between 10-20 ppm and your phosphate readings about 0.5-1.5 ppm to avoid algae issues. Once your nitrates bottomed out the algae took off. (30 ppm for the CO2 if you have it - equates into a pH drop of 1.0. Better accuracy with a drop checker)

looks like all good advice.. i had the same algae probs untill i got my tank planted and bristlenose plec . my nitrates usually under 10 but now i see 20 still ok maybe ill wait and water change not as often too

okay i need to get co2 for this tank.. where is going to be my best best to get a co2 system that is quality but maybe not 400 dollars!?

I am picking up another 55 gallon tank and want to plant it too (it will be a while from the costs of the equipment Im coming up with) A few questions on this new tank to prevent algae in it.

add substrate heater, filter.. than co2 system and then plants.. right? now Ingg (or anyone else who knows what hes talking about) You mentioned cranking the co2 with just the plants before adding any fish.. do you add anything else besides fertilizers and co2 to "feed" the plants?

Will ground cover plants grow at 3-4 wpg or how much should I be looking at?

Last edited:
Since you are looking at more than one planted aquarium, you may want to look at splitting the CO2 between both aquariums if they're going to be close together. By adding a manifold you can split the CO2 between multiple aquariums. You'd just need an additional needle valve per aquarium. I'd recommend looking at a custom built regulator from Rex Grigg. If the aquariums won't be near each other you may want to go with a Milwaukee regulator. They are fairly popular and relatively inexpensive. The CO2 Cylindar is probably easiest to obtain locally. I'd call around to find out the best price. Often there isn't a significant price difference for initial purchase or refills between cylindars, so buy the largest one you have room for.

that's a great idea joy, but no they will not be close...
Okay I will start calling around locally and see what i can come up with

haykay check out local welding supply co can find alot better prices then aquarium stores.i just buy a 10 lb tank 75.00 canadian that prob be 1/2 in usa price lol.

Back
Top Bottom