algae on baby tears

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
My baby tears are finally shooting new growth only after a few days.however, I've got green algae growing in then now. I have three oto cats but there is quite a bit of algae elsewhere that keeps them occupied. Question is, should I get three more cats, or is there another solution? It's it safe to remove the plants and scrub them?

The fish keep most algae off the larger plants but since the tears are on the ground it's more vulnerable.

Personally, I wouldn't disturb the plants and uproot them. How about some shrimp or snails depending on your stock? I feel like they would reach all surfaces in the aquarium, even the low carpet plants.

I have 26 ghost shrimp and some snails I bought and some hitchhikers from the plants. I just don't want them to die since they are fairly expensive and hard to come by locally.

Hmm, ghost shrimp. They really don't feed on algae (if at all) as much as some other shrimp like cherry and amano shrimp. Being that you have 26 they may prey on smaller shrimp. Have you tried nerite snails? They don't eat plants (only algae) and don't breed in freshwater. I here they're amazing algae eaters. They're pretty cool looking as well. ;)

I have flourish liquid fertilizer, it says to use once a week but with about 170 Watts on a 40b should I dose it daily until my dry fertilizers get here? I've been dosing it twice a week and at the dosage for a 60 gallon tank.

I have one if those snails they are $5 each here so I didn't get more.they are fantastic algae eaters I see them take out large patches at night.do you know any snails that eat snails?I want to get rid of the pest snails.

cyris69 said:
I have one if those snails they are $5 each here so I didn't get more.they are fantastic algae eaters I see them take out large patches at night.do you know any snails that eat snails?I want to get rid of the pest snails.
Assasin snails. They're name gives it away! ;)

I hear Flourish Excel is a pretty good algae ridder if overdosed. Not sure how much though... you may wanna Google search that one.

Indeed :) I will have to pick up some assassin snails, do they only easy other snails or omnivores?

I use co2 but have the journal flourish, might have to pick up some excel.

cyris69 said:
Indeed :) I will have to pick up some assassin snails, do they only easy other snails or omnivores?

I use co2 but have the journal flourish, might have to pick up some excel.

They kill and eat any snail they can. Sometimes others are just too big. Depending on the size of the snail they kill, they usually only kill a few a day, which is why having more assassins is more effective at getting rid of pest snails.

Back
Top Bottom