algae on plants... due to light upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well my one plant in the middle of the tank has gotten some green goo lookin stuff on the tip of its leaf and between some leaves is a white goo lookin thing with bubbles in teh goo
anyone know what this is and what casues it?
if you want a picture i have some

Pics would be helpful.

The green goo sounds like it might be BGA. Is it slimy? If you take it out of the water does it stink?

The white goo sounds more like snail eggs and unless you want a ton of baby snails trolling around your tanks, should be removed immediately.

Unfortunately the pictures aren't clear enough for me to make any better guesses.

ya i know didnt work so well but i moved the plant away from the filter output bbecuase i think that may help it and the plant also has brush algae so maybe that will help and i wiped it off and it didnt sink right away but when i looked back it fell down so i took it out

edit
looked up bga and i got this pic
http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/moss3a.JPG
mine didnt look like that but that may have been at a much more advanced stage, i seen my hornwort being a little bit of a darker and brighter green than it usually is so i check it out and it wiped off easily but i think that was another part of some kind of algae but i dont know whast kind, could this all be because of teh increase of light and is teh "algae" bad?

CO2, Co2, Co2. Increase this and prune infected leaves. With increased lighting comes increased uptake of nutrients. If No3 has bottomed out BGA comes (usually). If PO4 has bottomed out GSA comes (usually).

no3 is nitrates right? ya ill do a check on them this weekend and ill probably get a hagen co2 system also when i get the money for it
but im only at 34 watts for 20 gallons is that even enough to get widespread algae?

34w does put you into marginal CO2 requirements (2.4WPG if you prefer this rule).. I would recommend it anyway, but DIY is far better and more cost effective then those hagen systems.

i wiped it off :( but on it there are some bubbles that dontr come easily and dont really look like eggs and the other one on the hornwort is just a darker green and it wipes off just like brown diatoms but dark green

Back
Top Bottom