Algae Out Of Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 4 Cory's, 5 Neons in a 50 Gal. planted tank. I only have some Java Ferns. My plants, Stone decorations, tank walls and Mopani wood are covered with brownand green algae! I mean covered thick! I change water 50% every 2
weeks, yet no better results! I am ready to give up! Any good advice on a cure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Algae Problems

I have 4 Cory's, 5 Neons in a 50 Gal. planted tank. I only have some Java Ferns. My plants, Stone decorations, tank walls and Mopani wood are covered with brownand green algae! I mean covered thick! I change water 50% every 2
weeks, yet no better results! I am ready to give up! Any good advice on a cure would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :thanks:

Hello g...

If your tank is new, then time is needed for the chemistry to work. My tanks took a few months for the water, fish and plants to get settled, so don't fret about it. Algae is the sign of a healthy tank and the green stuff is a good supplement to your fishes' diet.

In the mean time, you should lower the phosphates in the water. Most plant and fish foods have this nutrient. So, feed your fish and plants no more than a couple of times a week. Fish don't need to eat more often than that.

Large, weekly water changes of half the tank volume will remove extra dissolved nutrients. Floated stem plants like Anacharis, Pennywort, Water sprite and Water wisteria will use up added nutrients in the water too.

If you want to go the snail route, then Ramshorn will do a good job of removing all kinds of algae. They are fast breeders, but if you limit the amount you feed, the snail numbers will be just right.

The best way to control algae is to take away it's food. It will shrink in a few months.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

I had the same problem. The brown algae is hard to get rid off. I threw the plants away. The green algae can go away if you do a three day black out. Cover the tank with a blanket and turn off your light for three days. The fish are going to be fine. I did it and my tank was spotless. NO algae!!

Make sure that you have lots of plants in the tank because if you don't, the algae will use the nutrients in the water and you will have the same problem over and over again. Strong lighting and little plants in the tank will trigger to algae blooms because you are photosynthesizing with basically algae.

If you have strong lighting, co2 is recommended because the plants will use more nutrients and algae will not have nutrients to survive.

Back
Top Bottom