Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello i have a 240 litre 63 us gallon planted tank, c02 injected.
I've just recently upgraded my lights, i have 2 107cm 40w t8 life glo fluorescent and 2 39w t5ho tubes. I have been dosing seachem npk but i've just run out and bought dry salts which i havnt used yet.
Ever since I changed my lights the algae has taken off. There is green hairy algae on the front glass and some dark hairy algae on some leaves close to the surface.
Any help would be appreciated thanks

Attachments

• image-3609001060.jpg
    image-3609001060.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1225676494.jpg
    image-1225676494.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 58
What are your tank specs? NO3, CO2, etc..

What frets are you currently adding?

How often do you perform a PWC? And how much water do you change?

Substrate?

Hey bro.

He's asking what your water parameters are.

Ammonia nitrite nitrate.

I would grab yourself a phosphate testing kit. API is good.

I bet your phosphates and nitrates are quite high and youre probably not injecting enough Co2.

I would up your bubble rate to double what it is now test phosphates and see whether they are above 1ppm. If they are you will need to either use a phosphate remover in your filter or use RO water when you pwc. If your nitrates are above 10ppm I would try to reduce these to the same as your tap water which is probably around 5.

Do you have plenty of water movement too for eg a good powerhead?

Jon

Hi jon
I have my canister filter and an extra powerhead for water movement.
my parameters are ammo 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm.

You're going to need to test phosphates too.

I would hold off the ferts for a while as it seems the algae is probably out competing the plants right now.

Up your co2 bubble rate for now.

I found a slow down in the algae with mine from doing a really good vac of the tank floor getting as much detritus as I could.

Also the addition of Amano Shrimp to help eat algae and consume any extra waste food.

I use SERA PHOSVEC in my canister to reduce phosphates from 2ppm to 0.5ppm.

I have also reduced feeding to once a day and I fast the tank on a Monday.

Jon

Yea i only feed once a day too. Ill try increasing my c02. I dont think ill be able to afford a phosphate testing kit at the moment.
Cheers

No worries. They are about £11. But then if you need phosvec that's another £12. Lol. Who knew it was gonna be so expensive to keep fish lol.

Jon

I would think that it probably caused by a lack of nutrients rather than a surplus. Running out of nutrients is usually a better way to cause algae issues than having too many.

I would advise you to look up the Estimative Index method of dosing, as it's what I and many other use for dosing. It's deceptively simple once you wrap your head around it.

You should also purchase a drop checker so you have a visual aid in determining your CO2 levels.

The green stuff on your glass looks like Green Dust Algae (GDA), and the stuff on your leaves looks like either the startings of staghorn or BBA. Better pictures would help for a positive ID.

I think AQUACHEM means the checker solution that comes with drop checkers.

You can make your own using a 4dKH solution and the standard pH drops.

Jon

I've had this same thing happen a few times when sticking more light on a tank. When you add more light you add more demand for ferts and co2, and it makes things harder to balance out because of it. Doesn't mean it's impossible, lots of people have high tech tanks, it just takes a solid dosing plan and co2 injection regimen. And even then you may have to adjust your lighting to find a happy medium. It's my belief that algae thrives in imbalances.

Are you using the drops that came with the drop checker or the low range pH drops that came with your API kit? Make sure you're using the latter.

Im using the mix i bought i dont know how to make the 4dkh mix. Do you know how i can make my own solution?

Back
Top Bottom