Algae problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fancytail06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-2597110637.jpg

image-2801526776.jpg

So I have this funky algae, looks like two different types...hubby says its the lights... i have snails, a pleco and a few otos, but they won't touch it! So I guess what I'm asking is, 1) does anyone know what type/s of algae they are & 2) how do you suggest I get rid of them, besides cutting the light cycle? Thanks!

Tell us a little more about your setup: lighting type and duration. Do you dose any ferts; if so how often and how much. This will help.

1. It resembles Staghorn algae which is opportunistic in high ammonia + low CO2 conditions.

2. From what I've read, PWCs to correct the water chemistry and spot treating with Excel

As Mohican mentioned, lighting and fert info will help.

One of them is definitely the staghorn variety, but the other is more like bushy little Christmas trees (they are light in color) ammonia is good (per my hubby) and have been doing frequent water changes! This is a 10 gal tank, with black sand substrate, HOB generic tetra filter, and Marineland double bright LED light fixture. I leave them on for about 10hrs a day, going to look into a timer...how long do y'all suggest I leave them on for & do you think the "night/blue light" should be turned off, too? We use Flourish & Excel, but I'm going to start shooting my moss balls with the excel as suggested.

In a planted tank lights should only be run 6-8 hours or algae problems can occur. Until the algae is under control you need to bump them down to 6 hours. The other looks like Beard Algae to me but I've never seen it white before. Spot treat both types of algae with Excel at a rate of 1ml of Excel to every 5 gallons of tank water. You will have to do an area at a time each day if you have alot of algae to treat. Also be sure you have adequate water flow in the tank.

Thanks rivercats! What do you think about the blue/night light? Off or on?

Personally I run moonlights (blue lights) for a few hours on most all my tanks. They shouldn't be on all night but are fine to use for awhile each night.

So like 4 hours real light & 2 "night"/blue light? Or 6 hrs real light & 2 hrs blue? Thanks for your help again River!!

Just 6 hours of normal aquarium lighting. Moon or blue lights don't count.

Back
Top Bottom