Algae problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past few weeks I've setup a new 55 lightly planted. In the beginning, i had stock lighting and some wysteria, swords and micro swords (i think) from petco. Brought them home and planted, no growth, but no algae.

About a week or so after I got the plants, I upgraded to 2.5wpg of ODNO lighting. Kept the lights running at full capacity for awhile, and eventually started to see growth out of the plants.

But then I started to spot algae growing on the plant leaves, I took out one bulb to cut back to 1.25wpg, as I don't have CO2.

The algae is very brown or black looking, kinda hairy too. The wysteria are unaffected though. I've also got some green algae starting to form on the glass, and the water has been slowly greening up over the past few days.

Any ideas as to what is the cause of this, and any ideas about a solution?

I think I'm going to be treating my rams for ich pretty soon, they seem to be developing it. If the heat helps thwart the algae at all, I guess the ich came at the right time.

TIA!

Are you dosing any ferts? You may be getting a deficiency that wouldn't necessarily show up in the plants yet, but would help to get the algae jump started.

nope, no ferts whatsoever..

Did I do the right thing by cutting my light intensity back, or did that just further slow down the growth of my plants and allow the algae to take hold?

Back
Top Bottom