Algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a couple patches of java moss in my tank. The one on the right seems to be growing well the one on the left doesn't grow but it's still alive and the middle one has started to grow a green almost slim looking stuff on it. Its a 29g with a aqua clear 70 and a dual t5 fixture running a 6500k 31w and color max 31w. I have my lights on a nine hr timer and I dose half a cap of flourish a week and half a cap of excel every other day. I keep my water changes on about a biweekly schedule right now and have began to gravel vac when I do them.

Attachments

• image-2495908133.jpg
    image-2495908133.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1312242003.jpg
    image-1312242003.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 81
That's green slime algae. It comes from poor water movement and a lack or excess of a nutrient. You could rub the algae off and vac the particles that fall off so as to not spread it. it's the easiest algae to get in my experience. If you do nothing it will burn itself out but it'll get a lot worse before it gets better. Good luck

I was thinking about taking the two patches that aren't growing actually. I can give my dad one patch and just tossed the algae piece. I'll have to figure out how to trim the other one with out pieces flying everywhere in my tank too

One way to trim and cleanup at the same time is to clip and vacuum at the same time. Have the vac right over where your clipping, cut and move the vac right over where you clipped instantly.

Green slime algae (GSA) is usually caused by poor water flow and bottomed out nitrates. What are your parameters?

Your plants have used all the available nitrates in the tank. Usually a PWC will reset your levels. Most can be removed manually, it should tear off in sheets and then can be vacuumed up.

Is the patches with algae near the outflow of the filter? If the patches are in dead spots (flow wise) that may be the problem.

Yea it's to the bottom right of the flow I need to move my bubble stick thing over but I don't want it to be right under the filter cause then it'll blow bubbles all over the place

And don't nitrates just keep multiplying I have a total of 20 fish in a 29g

Am I wrong about that will plants use nitrates that quick that my nitrates are down to zero with no water changes done in two weeks

Back
Top Bottom