algae question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am having all sorts of trouble in my planted 15 gal. EVERYTHING is covered in green algae. The glass gets little spots (whaich are easily removed with my magfloat), and the driftwood and plants are consistently getting covered. I have unfortunately let it go long enough that I am going to have to replace the plants. Are there any other suggestions to help me the next time I have this tank "cleaned" out? :cry:

15 gallons...
how much light?
what kind of light?
CO2 injection?
What are nitrate levels? phosphate levels?

Keeping plants isn't really as easy as 'adding some plants'. They require care and maintenance, and above all else, sufficient lighting intensity.

You may want to review the numerous stickies at the top of the forum.

Yes 15 gal.
2.0 watts per. gal
Compact flourescent retro fitted
Nitrate and Phosphate both in acceptable ranges (according to the stickies that I already read)

I have multiple tanks in which I am "keeping plants", just this particuluar one seems to be an algae magnet and I can't figure out why.

What co2, if any are you adding? What fertilizers? Most common cause for algae is lack of co2. It would be nice to see a pH/KH reading. Do you use a HOB filter?

jonnyb1425 said:
Yes 15 gal.
2.0 watts per. gal
Compact flourescent retro fitted
Nitrate and Phosphate both in acceptable ranges (according to the stickies that I already read)

but what are the actual Nitrate and phosphate levels???

No CO2 injection then? That's probably a big part of it...2wpg and no CO2...not even DIY. And likely a lack of potassium or trace nutrients. If you don't have the right amounts of these, the plants won't have a need for as much nitrate and phosphate. Depending on what plant guru you listen to, this could mean these nutrients become 'more available' to opportunistic algae spores.

Back
Top Bottom