Algae removal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnthD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Waiting for my tank to cycle and have got a bit of a problem with algae, its not on the glass but growing from the plants (both plastic at the back and live at the front) was wondering 2 things:
1 The best way to get rid of this whilst im cycling
2 what would be the best fis/invert to get to keep this under control once its all set up and stocked.
Its only a 10g tank so dont want too much as i dont want to starve anything with it being a small tank.

Also, whilst looking at fish yesterday i noticed the lfs had some moss balls, these worth getting?
Tia.

Waiting for my tank to cycle and have got a bit of a problem with algae, its not on the glass but growing from the plants (both plastic at the back and live at the front) was wondering 2 things:
1 The best way to get rid of this whilst im cycling
2 what would be the best fis/invert to get to keep this under control once its all set up and stocked.
Its only a 10g tank so dont want too much as i dont want to starve anything with it being a small tank.

Also, whilst looking at fish yesterday i noticed the lfs had some moss balls, these worth getting?
Tia.

To combat algae we can do a few things: to decrease N and P with water changes, reduce the light and by competition (fast grow plants).
For each person and each tank there is a best option, but you can use more than one strategy.[emoji6]

To combat algae we can do a few things: to decrease N and P with water changes, reduce the light and by competition (fast grow plants).
For each person and each tank there is a best option, but you can use more than one strategy.[emoji6]
I was overlighting. I had light on for 12 hoirs a day to try and help the live plants take. Ive cut that right down. Ive also started doing 10% water changes daily.
Thing i dont want to do is be fighting a losing battle with it once stocked, want to cause as little disturbance as possible once the little fellas are in. So was thinking maybe 1 or 2 small fish that would deal with it for me. Looking into best ones now.

Agree'd reducing lighting period will be best while cycling. Go to 6 hours of u have to. Make sure your lighting isn't too strong [emoji106]

Agree'd reducing lighting period will be best while cycling. Go to 6 hours of u have to. Make sure your lighting isn't too strong [emoji106]
Yeah. Ive dropped it to between 5 and 6 hours now. Hopefully at the very least itll slow it right down until i can get it cycled and some fish in to sort it out.

What kind of light do you have? Dimming is also very helpful. With no co2 it is critical that the light not be too strong.

Back
Top Bottom