Algae troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvusAtx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my plants are doing fine, but they are covered in some sort of brown algae. My farlowella keeps the algae beat back, but I would really like to have those nice clean plants all shiny and algae free... any suggestions?

About 4 months and I've had this issue since week 2 or so.

img_1634862_0_dfc32e3f9415f95a419eaa3044e829a6.jpg

You can see where the farlowella cleaned up some of the leaves of this anubias, but the bottom leaf is covered...

The swords are even worse sometimes, and the more delicate plants get gnawed a little thin sometimes.

Diatoms ... aka Brown Algae is common in newer tanks and really comes down to excess silicates in water, usually from PWC tap that comes from groundwater. Usually the BA goes away on it's own after a couple of months as the silicates are used up, but if your PWC source is silica rich, you may never truly get rid of it. I've had BA since the 1st month my tank was set up with no sign of it going away.

It gets annoying and a bit unsightly, but it relatively easy to wipe of. Switching to RO/DI will help to rid the silica's, but you'd have to recharge the other minerals you'd lose. Although you may not want to buy fish to deal with algae problems, Otto's love the stuff so that is another consideration.

Ok thanks! I think someone else told me about that before... lol... I hope they clear up, but I doubt it. I've got them in even my oldest tanks. I wish I could add some otto's, but unfortunately I think my bichirs would probably turn them into snacks before they could do much good.

CalvusAtx said:
Ok thanks! I think someone else told me about that before... lol... I hope they clear up, but I doubt it. I've got them in even my oldest tanks. I wish I could add some otto's, but unfortunately I think my bichirs would probably turn them into snacks before they could do much good.

Told you so! Lol

Back
Top Bottom