All Types of Algae in Planted Tank! Ahh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have a 25g high planted tank. Pressurized co2, t5ho ( x2 geisemann aqua flora/midday combo 24 watt). I just recently bough the geisemann bulbs (two weeks ago) I originally had true lumen 12000k and a flora bulb. I didn't like the results I was getting with it so I switched to geisemann. Anywho, since I've put these bulbs in I've gotten the beginning of green brush algae, black beard algae, and blue-green algae. My photo period was 10 hours with my prior bulbs but I'm thinking I need to cut it down to about 8. I used to dose comprehensive until I just gotten my dry ferts from gla today. Do you guys think the cause for all these different types of algae is because of the lack of nutrients and to long of a photo period? Thoughts??

Reducing photoperiod is always a good first step, as is reducing light intensity if possible. Next step is usually upping CO2.

It very well could be a result of insufficient nutrients. BGA is commonly caused by low nitrates. BBA is usually an issue with low CO2/high light. GBA is..... uncommon, I suppose, but there is usually an issue with lighting and CO2 at the root of most algae infestations.

Start bumping up CO2 and start dosing EI say me.

Oh, and pictures!

Okay awesome! That's definitely what I'm going to do. Here are some pics.

image-2822300911.jpg

Tank shot

image-3673908857.jpg

GBA I think?

image-734871789.jpg

image-734871789.jpg

BGA on a piece of Riccia that broke off and is floating.

I've been dosing dry ferts from gla (ei style) for a week and it appears to be a carpet of algae all over my crypts. My jungle Val has long hair algae on it as well. it's like the ferts aren't doing the trick and things are getting worse.. I cut back lighting to 8 hrs and co2 is pushing 3bps. Any ideas as to what could be going on? There is a crazy imbalance but I just don't know what.... Stumped....

Check your ammonia levels. What kind of algae on the crypts? How much circulation do you have? You might try raising the lights up off the tank until everything falls into place.

aqua_chem said:
Check your ammonia levels. What kind of algae on the crypts? How much circulation do you have? You might try raising the lights up off the tank until everything falls into place.

Ammonia was at 0 yesterday. I am unable to check right because i am at the hospital my wife gave birth to our second son yesterday! Not sure as to what kind of algae. Almost looks like a turf of gunk to be honest. My circulation should be pretty well, AC 50 and a power head small power head above my glass diffuser to distribute the bubbles throughout the tank more evenly. My tank still hasn't found that happy equilibrium and hopefully it will soon! What do you mean raise the lights up? I have them on 4 inch legs right now.

Some fixtures you can raise up a little bit. Hagen Glo fixtures are nice like that.

Your HOB might be degassing a lot of your CO2. Do you have any sort of way to measure it (drop checker, pH+KH, etc)?

I have a DC. It stays a good lime green to yellow. I leave my co2 on 24/7 so could a ph swing from night to day/day to night affect algae growth? Since co2 would be considered "unstable"?

"Unstable" isn't the best word to use. "Inconsistent" is much better. I have never heard of pH swings causing algae, or even any bad effects in a tank.

Have you checked your nitrate lately? Make sure that you've got enough of that.

Yeah that's the word I was looking for and couldnt think of! Haha my nitrates are staying right around 10ppm (checked at end of the week before water change).

Well what do you know. I added another hob filter thus increased circulation and it has been two weeks since I began the EI dosing. Now, the algae is diminishing significantly. It's funny how you see all these websites say "increased nutrients and ferts cause algae!" definitely not my case. hopefully within a it will be completely gone!

So far I've only found that too little or way to much fertilizer can cause issues. Just a bit too much or moderately too much has almost no effect. I'm dosing everything in excess these days.

aqua_chem said:
So far I've only found that too little or way to much fertilizer can cause issues. Just a bit too much or moderately too much has almost no effect. I'm dosing everything in excess these days.

That's good to hear. I was worried with EI dosing I wouldn't dosing correct measurements but I got one of the "tad smidgen" type measuring spoons and it's working great!"

Back
Top Bottom