Allergy to Excel ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Excel has that warning on its label about developing a sensitivity, and I think I am ...

What's the alternative?

I have two low-medium light tanks, inert substrate, minimal ferts and am not eager to spend a ton on higher lights, co2 systems, and then have more maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

How about DIY co2? You can get a good rig going for less than $10.

Metricide. Just warning it's 2x as strong as excel. Just throw out the activating agent.

Caleb

Metricide will do the same thing.
OP what symptoms are you having and how much excel do you use?
I dose the metricide which is 2-2 1/2 times stronger.
I don't spill any on me or intentionally sniff it,but I know what it smells like.
Have you spilled it on you or is this from "casual exposure"?

This is an OSHA link for Hospital/lab type workers on exposure to glut ;

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/hazards/glutaraldehyde/glut.html

Caleb - Metricide is essentially the same chemical. So is APIs bottled co2 booster.

I have looooong been one who gets some shortness of breath and cough from chemicals. Usually the salicylate and benzoate relatives (smoke, artificial fragrances, aspirin, aloe, food dyes) ...

I've noticed a few times if I get a drop on my skin I get a little tiny shortness of breath. Having my hands in the tank recently I noticed it again. Some spilled once and it bugged me more.

I never have severe asthma attacks or reactions to anything, but I think it's time to explore options.

How about DIY co2? You can get a good rig going for less than $10.

Would that not get me into a place where I have to up the lights and ferts?

I was looking at it some today. The ones that don't use yeast (my beautiful child who takes after his momma has a bad yeast allergy).

Would that not get me into a place where I have to up the lights and ferts?

I was looking at it some today. The ones that don't use yeast (my beautiful child who takes after his momma has a bad yeast allergy).

I used to get a tightness in my chest when playing around in my salt water tank. Never learned what caused it; its scary though. Im assuming it was a toxin from coral.

There are non yeast alternatives to diy co2, they use baking soda and some pickling fluid for canned foods.

Are you sure its a yeast allergy though? Theres literally yeast on every surface of your home.

Metricide will do the same thing.
OP what symptoms are you having and how much excel do you use?
I dose the metricide which is 2-2 1/2 times stronger.
I don't spill any on me or intentionally sniff it,but I know what it smells like.
Have you spilled it on you or is this from "casual exposure"?

This is an OSHA link for Hospital/lab type workers on exposure to glut ;

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/hospital/hazards/glutaraldehyde/glut.html

Just reading that article. Why do we not think twice about putting it in our aquariums?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to get a tightness in my chest when playing around in my salt water tank. Never learned what caused it; its scary though. Im assuming it was a toxin from coral.

There are non yeast alternatives to diy co2, they use baking soda and some pickling fluid for canned foods.

Are you sure its a yeast allergy though? Theres literally yeast on every surface of your home.

Positive its yeast. He's not scary allergic so it'd probably not be an issue. And the alternative is Citric acid which is corn derived ... and his more significant allergy is corn, so I guess either way it'd still be something he can't help with (as dosing with excel has been of course).

Just reading that article. Why do we not think twice about putting it in our aquariums?

There are hundreds of products we use in our homes that have similar risks. Most people are "fine" with them. There are ingredients in hair color and even some "sensitive skin" lotions that have sensitizing ingredients in them.

Oh, but back to my question... If I use DIY co2 do I not have to increase lights and ferts?

Oh, but back to my question... If I use DIY co2 do I not have to increase lights and ferts?

Correct. The light level determines if you need ferts and co2. Not the other way around.

What you could do is use an auto dosing punp to dose the excel. If you use the gallon container of metricide you will only have to handle it once a year or so and when you do handle it use rubber gloves and a respirator mask.

An affordable pump can be bought for about $80 and has 4 channels for dosing.

There are hundreds of products we use in our homes that have similar risks. Most people are "fine" with them. There are ingredients in hair color and even some "sensitive skin" lotions that have sensitizing ingredients in them.

Oh yeah you're right! why don't we put them in our aquariums whilst we're at it :/

It's 2015, 60% of inanimate objects/products you come in contact with in a daily basis can/will give you cancer or some other gnarly disposition. No algae?? I'll take my chances!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's 2015, 60% of inanimate objects/products you come in contact with in a daily basis can/will give you cancer or some other gnarly disposition. No algae?? I'll take my chances!

It's not the user I was thinking of. A point made in jest nonetheless.

I'd rather have algae....

Op perhaps a Walstad tank would fit the bill?

It's not the user I was thinking of. A point made in jest nonetheless.

I'd rather have algae....

Op perhaps a Walstad tank would fit the bill?

The single most common coral in the reef keeping hobby also contains one of the most lethal toxins on the planet. A man almost killed his whole family by boiling a rock.

Most everything in our lives carries a risk and this hobby is no different. Fish tanks also often harbor salmonella in them yet aquarists dont hesitate to submerge themselves in their tanks to move some stuff around.

The single most common coral in the reef keeping hobby also contains one of the most lethal toxins on the planet. A man almost killed his whole family by boiling a rock.

Most everything in our lives carries a risk and this hobby is no different. Fish tanks also often harbor salmonella in them yet aquarists dont hesitate to submerge themselves in their tanks to move some stuff around.

+1 One time I was watching this show called "Monsters Inside Me", where a girl got a bacterial infection called Mycobacterium marinum from putting her hand in the tank. Although she did have a small cut that allowed the bacteria to enter. It just goes to show you that washing your hands after having them in a fish tank is important. About the CO2 situation for the OP, I'd recommend either going the route of having a low-tech tank where CO2 addition (pressurized or liquid) isn't needed (you could try that Walstad method that was mentioned above...I haven't tried it myself though, so I can't say anything about it), or saving for a paintball CO2 setup.

I don't know if my point has been driven home. I don't know how it has become acceptable to expose fish to a chemical that can cause respiratory problems in humans.

In one thread we are talking about ethics, tank sizes, compatibilities water parameters clean water then in the next breath we put this stuff in our tanks. I'm not having a go. Just made me giggle.

I don't know if my point has been driven home. I don't know how it has become acceptable to expose fish to a chemical that can cause respiratory problems in humans.

In one thread we are talking about ethics, tank sizes, compatibilities water parameters clean water then in the next breath we put this stuff in our tanks. I'm not having a go. Just made me giggle.

Anything for the plants man....

Back
Top Bottom