Alright, I've got my cart before the horse. Anything wrong with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottS

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tried growing some low light plants in my 46 gal bow front with the hood and light that came with the tank and no other efforts (no CO2, sand substrate, ferts etc),

The corkscrew vals died in a week, but the Anubias are hanging on (barely).

So here's what I did, and I'll hope you'll tell me it will work or what I might do instead. I ordered:

1) Current USA 36" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture 2x39W 10Kand Freshwater 6500k (2 Bulb)

2) pellet ferts from aquariumplants.com

3) more anubias

4) more corkscrew vals (would really like them to work out in the background)

5) a java fern

6) a crypt walkeri

7) a clown pleco to clean up some of the algae growing on the anubias

For these relatively easy and lower light plants, do I have a combo here to succeed? I want to make this as simple as possible.

if you replace that 450nm bulb blue one right? with a bulb better for plants like the 6500k bulb.

should work out.

It was the option for the 6500 or actinic and I ordered the 6500. I copied and pasted that and didn't delete that part. Whoops.

Is there a good way to find which ones would benefit from the fert tabs at the roots? I haven't come across a definiteive list on here or the plant sites.

The vals and the crypts would benefit from some root tabs. It sounds like you are on your way to a great setup! You will be amazed at the effect the new light has.

I agree it sounds like you are off to a good start. Generally, plants with large root systems like swords, crypts and vals appreciate the root tabs. Stem plants don't need them so much as they get their nutrients directly from the water. Anubias and Java fern have rhizomes to anchor themselves to a rock or driftwood, and shouldn't be "planted" in the substrate.

I believe clown plecos aren't terribly great algae eaters. They need to rasp on driftwood but won't touch much else. A bristlenose pleco would be a good janitor for you, or a school of otos.

The one crypt is already losing leaves. They look like they became detached at from the midrib. It's still green, just looks like it's falling apart.

I really fouled up the vals. Got distracted and bleach dipped them waaaaay too long. Leaves are browning and looking transparent. If I keep the roots fed and the tank adequately lit, will they ever come back?

Like house plants, they might be unhappy now but when your lights and tabs get here they should come back. Your new lights will be great. next you need co2. When your ready of course.

well, now my new crypt has no leaves. Came back to the office from a 3 hour meeting and the last leaf is floating. Leaf looks healthy. Nice green, no holes, yellowing or browning, but the leaf broke clean at the stem. The crown isn't buried in the substrate.

So do I leave the leafless plant where it is?

Back
Top Bottom