Alternate lighting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i was planning on getting about 2-3 CFL lights and putting them over my tank. Was planning on taking the hood off because i currently only have a 17w light on my 45g medium planted tank. Needless to say that's not near enough. Well cfl lights are cheap and give out a good wattage. I was wondering a good way to put them over my tank.. that is effective and safe.

Any ideas? or other ideas?

I am looking for a cheap way to do lighting since I can not afford the proper lighting atm.

Thanks,
Paul

Fluorescent shop lights are an option. The reflectors spread the light while good aquarium reflectors shoot most of the light straight down, but I've seen tanks do well with the shop lights.

The CFLs do ok. I have them on my 29g and in conjunction with a T5 fixture on my 20L. I don't care for the yellowness of my CFLs though.

The 45 is too short to fit shop lights in .... But you can run the tank open top & hang the fixture from the ceiling so it is a few inches above the water.

Shop lights are prob the best cheap option. Get a T8 Fixture with Daylight bulbs & you will get half decent light for $25 or so. You can get Daylight CFL's, but they are still rather pricey. To make a fixture of the same watts with CFL will cost twice as much as a shop light. Plus the CFL's don't put out as much light as a T8. <Light gets lost in the spirals.>

What about two or so CFL using these

1-14-clamp%20light.jpg

That way it would reflect the light down..

Back
Top Bottom