Alternate source for K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if there is alternative source for K. I know about fleet enema for PO4, stump remover for KNO3 and I even have a source for Calcium chloride from a hot tub store.

Is there any alternative source for K as in K2SO4 or maybe KCL that can be purchased at a hardware or other possible place? I know i can order it from Gregs but I have no need because everything else will last me a long time except for the K2SO4 and shipping would make it unreasonable. Should have ordered 4 pounds when I made my first order.

KCl used in water softeners is probably your best bet. But the Cl might cause problems - it is good to avoid Cl if you can. Some people say that they get enough K from the KH2PO4 and KNO3...

It is very nice to find a local group of hobbiests. You can split shipping on plants and ferts etc etc.

The NoSalt available at your local grocery store is KCl and commonly recommended for dosing K.

Well duh, I knew there was something. Now if it is only cheaper than ordering it in bulk. I know, I use a lot but my plants love it, 1/4 tsp every other day.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I guess it isn't bad. 1/3 tsp to get my target in my 10 gallon tanks. Should last a long time even only getting 11 oz. from the local store.

Thanks again

Well I found a source for really cheap! My local Sears carries KCl for use in water softeners, 40 lb bags for $9.99. Now I know I will never run out if I go this way. At least it is enough that I can use it to fertilize my lawn plants too.

Sulfate of potash is K2SO4 though. The same thing GW sells.

On the stump remover, I've found the Bonide brand Ace hardware sells is powdery like GW's. The Grant's that is usually mentioned is "pelletised" so it needs ground back to powder or dissolved in water as fish see it as food.

Well my LFS which is a lawn and garden sells Potash. I think it is 60% K2O so I will have to see if they sell sulfate of Potash but I doubt it. Lots of options which is good so I can decide when I run out in about 3 weeks.

Agricultural grade is never 100% pure, there is prob some trace contaminant.

FYI, atomic weight of K = 19, O = 8, S = 16. So K2SO4 would have 44% elemental K. But since NPK labeling expresses K as K2O, I think the NPK label of 100% K2SO4 should read close to 0-0-54. So the 0-0-50 labeling is actually short, indicating some filler or contaminant (or maybe they are jsut rounding it off).

SULFATE OF POTASH 0- 0- 50
CONTAINS: Fertilizer grade Sulfate of Potash (Potassium Sulfate) Not for spray application. USE ON: Most Vegetables, Flowers, Shrubs, and Lawns. FOR Use in potassium low soils. Helps plants form healthier and stronger roots, stems, and tubers.RATE: 1/2 lb. per 100 sq. ft. APPLICATION: Spread over treatment area and water in.
PACKED: 10 x 5 lb. bag - #12255

Only description on http://www.southernag.com/fertilizers-l&g.htm the mfg's website suggests it is pure K2SO4. I may buy it next time I need ferts and give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom