Am I wasting time and money?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 30g long, with a 36" flo light on it, which figures to 1.2 wpg. I've heard plenty of people here say that some plants (java, anubias, anacharis, crypts) will be fine at that light level. I've also heard/seen a lot of info that says otherwise lately. (lfs advice/internet)

Basically, I want to hear some success stories (or just confirmation I'll be fine :)) about other very low light setups that you've had experience with before I go plant buying tomorrow. :?

Anyone?

I had some suceess with java ferns and hornwort. I eventually upgraded to a 55W pc for a better plant selection.

u2_Crazy said:
I had some suceess with java ferns and hornwort. I eventually upgraded to a 55W pc for a better plant selection.

I hadn't considered a PC setup for my 30 long; now I'll have to. I can certainly hope a retro fit kit is less expensive than HO. :!:

@ u2_Crazy : Awesome! I wonder why they're doing so well, though, considering your light levels are below "very low"!? Do you use fertililzer or what? I'm glad to see crypts can handle the lower light - I'm looking forward to them.

btw, the mention of hornwort in that thread reminds me - I wanted to ask about being 'planted' in the gravel... it's still working for you, u2_Crazy?

I have a 20long with 2x15w NO bulbs and disco gravel growing anubias, marimo balls, and floating anacharis. It has also grown crypts to some success and hornwort. My favorite thing about this tank is ~30% pwc/wk is all I do to add some traces from tap, there is no dosing, and algae is low. It is a slow growth tank (our goldie eats anacharis about as fast as it grows) and very low maintenence. Once I grow out Java fern, I am sticking it in there, too :)

So since it's goldfish there's no heater or filtration, either?

Which traces from the tap are beneficial? (adopt a plant noob, would ya? :grin: )

Jchillin said:
cJw: Until last night, I had 1wpg. Take a look at my clickys and tell me what you think. :)

:!:

I'm convinced; looks like I'll be getting more anacharis and some java tomorrow. :D

cJw said:
So since it's goldfish there's no heater or filtration, either?

Which traces from the tap are beneficial? (adopt a plant noob, would ya? :grin: )

No filtration on a goldfish tank? Must be a typo. :)

all traces are beneficial :)

I have a Stealth heater set to 72F, but have no idea if it ever turns on. Just makes me feel better (temps at night will drop below 70F in my home). I have an Aquaclear HOB for filtration. You may find it interesting that it is my only tank with any biomedia. (I use plants as biofilters under medium light and higher in my other tanks.) NO3 is usually in the 20s in this tank.

The list of micronutrients/traces for plants is long. Here, my water is hard in terms of GH, which is made up of Ca and Mg. It is common for tap to also have trace amounts of other micros (S, Fe, Mo, etc). The beauty of a low light tank is that while you can depend on N and P (macronutrients) from feeding and fish waste, you can also use water changes to keep those levels under control while providing some traces. You likely do not have to care about fertilization at all under low light and moderate fish load, and if you do, it will be for K and some micros, and you will be able to use some LFS-available fert like Leaf Zone or Flourish or Plant-Gro. There may be some very heavily planted low-light tanks that are the exceptions to the rule, of course.

In the end, a low light planted tank is all benefit (beauty and nutrient uptake) with no/very little downside (dosing/maintenence). You're going to do great. :)

For a while I was growing dwarf lilys and cryptocorene Wendtii (bronze) in the bottom of a 20 gallon Xtall tank with only a 15watt NO bulb myself.

Pretty much most of the crypts handle low light real well, they just grow at glacial speed, wich is cool for me. Only thing special I did for the plants was a root tab every other month, since they were growing in new sand.

I had java fern growing in a 10 gallon with a 15 watt incandesent NORMAL plane jane lightbulb. The reflector was so tarnished it mind as well have been made of wood. The javafern grew slowly, but it grew.

Back
Top Bottom