Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Amazon sword... EDIT: pictures

I have an amazon sword in my tank with a really long thin stem growing off of it. Right now it's about 2x as high as the plant itself, and it look slike it has 2 mini swords growing off of it. Are these mini-swords? And if they are, how do I remove them and plant them so they'll grow? Or does it not work that way? I really have no idea, I just think they look like mini swords, so I don't nkow if that's how they reproduce or what. The plant right now is only about 6-10 inches tall. I had cut off like 3 of the leaves that looked pretty bad (after I bought it ) and now it's flourishing. It's bright, it seems to be growing a lot and this thing coming off of it.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Yes those are babys. When they get a little larger and grow roots you can snip them off and plant them. If the stalk grows out of the water it will flower.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Great! Thank you. I tried doing a google search, but was having a hard time finding pictures of it. How often do these stalks grow off of it?
I just took a few pictures of the part of the plant I'm talking about too.

You can actually see the end is a little brown. I had cut off the top part of the stalk when I bought it because it looked kinda bad.

One more thing. How do you go about removing the small plants? Do you just cut the whole stem? Or can you remove those plants while keeping the stem in tact? I'm pretty happy that the new ones grew off like that. I have some room in my tank where they would look nice.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I bought one from Walmart with two baby swards on a long stalk. I cut the stalk (but I do leave stalk one or two inches under the baby plant) and plant them when they have roots. Now they are growing quite well, so I am quite happy with Walmart's plants.

From your pictures, I can see their roots. It is time to cut the stalk and plant them.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so, another question What would happen in "the wild" with this plant? Like.. how would the baby plant detach itself? And if that thing grew to the surface and flowered, would the mini plants continue to grow? Or would they die eventually if you don't cut them off?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the wild, the plant would most likely have an emersed phase, during the dryer season. This is when such plantlets are most likely to be successful.

Tags
amazon, amazon sword, pictures, sword

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com