Amazon sword growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POLARBEAR0871

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know how big and how long it takes an amazon sword to grow along with a micro sword

Amazon swords can reach heights above 25" I believe, and in my 60g, I have them planted along the back wall (for pics go to the link in the sig - last page) and i planted them in october at about 4" tall and you can see how big they are now. almost reaching the surface, I have to prune a ton of leaves every week and i get all these little plantlets off it. I have no experience with micro swords, but I know some types can be harder to keep. I think the marituana (needle leaf i think) or something is the easiest..

Given good conditions, amazon swords tend to get ridiculous. I've seen comedically large swords in 10g, 20L, etc. I would say that a happy sword could easily get 20", but I wouldn't dare try to peg the maximum limit lest it take it as a challenge.

Microsword is more demanding than most plants, as are most foreground, especially considering most people are looking for a 'carpeting' effect. That being said, it's a slower grower and more tolerant of less than ideal setups than other foregrounds like HC or DHG, so it's a good 'gateway' foreground assuming you're willing to meet it halfway.

Can you give me any tips on how to "carpet" my tank I personally think carpeting looks amazing but all I have in my tank is sand no substrate and iv only got a single micro sword that Iv had for several months now

Do you have decent lighting? Most carpeting plants need lots of light. If your micro sword is in one big clump, you can divide it and plant several small spots of it, to hopefully spread.

Get good lights and a pressurized CO2 system. No one ever wants to hear it, but that's usually how it's done.

Back
Top Bottom