Amazon sword leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gu2high

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a good Amazon Sword. Its leaves were all ovals when I bought it at Walmart. It grows very fast in my tank but it grows all long bigger leaves. What factors decide its leaves' shape?

My tank has near 2wpg light and no CO2 injection and is lightly planted so far. Substrate is Turface MVP.

when you bought it it had most likely been grown emersed (out of the water) what you are seeing is new underwater growth :D perfectly normal!

Now I see. I love it. It was a big plant with two small ones when I bought it. I cut the two small ones and planted them too. Now it is growing a stalk with 3 more babies. But I guss I have enough of it and need space for other plants.

This afternoon, I received newly ordered plants. One is a wrong one which I haven't ordered. It is a Indian red sword. :oops: The plant I ordered is missing. This is the second time they sent me a wrong plant and this is my second order too.

Ok, so after reading this post I have a question. I'm very new to the whole plant thing. My amazon sword recently had a stem with 2 little plants on it. I took the 2 plants off (they had roots) and was planning on planting them in my big tank, but they're reallyt oo small to stay planted. So can I plant them out of the water in a pot or something untill they get bigger? I thought they had to be completely underwater... sorry if this is a dumb question...

The easiest thing would be to just float them in your tank until they're big enough to plant.

Purrbox said:
The easiest thing would be to just float them in your tank until they're big enough to plant.

This is one of the best things about planted tanks...clippings can be germinated within the water column. Pretty neat huh?

Psst - You may see examples of this in many tanks if you look close enough...usually in the right or left front corners of the tanks. :)

One of my amazon swords came from my other one. I just let it grow on the original plant until it got so big it was shading the rest of the tank and sticking out of the water a bit :) Since you've already clipped it, I'd just float it like Purrbox and Jchillin. :)

They don't have to be completely underwater. Both of mine have gotten so tall that they regularly grow up and out of the top of my tank. They would probably be just fine, except they end up pushing up against the light hood and cooking :(

ya say ya got it at walmart? I'm gonna have to watch to see if my walmnart carrys any of them, I've been wanting a sword, I better read up on its requirements first!

I don't have problem to clip and plant it, although they are very small. If it have roots and if you leave 1-2 inch stem under it, it is easy to plant it. The gravel will cover the roots and stem and hold it well.

Jchillin said:
Purrbox said:

This is one of the best things about planted tanks...clippings can be germinated within the water column. Pretty neat huh?

Psst - You may see examples of this in many tanks if you look close enough...usually in the right or left front corners of the tanks. :)

Hmmm, gonna have to post a couple pics, lol. My Ozelot Sword keeps sending out shoots with several nodes on them, and get lots of babies from it, lol. Now I have another sword that sent out a shoot, and where the shoot came out of the water, it has split into 3 different shoots, all with several nodes on each shoot, lol. I can't get them to stop reproducing, lol. But that's ok, I get $2.00 store credit for each Ozelot Sword I take to the LFS here, lol. But not sure what I'll get for the other sword, not sure what kind it is, lol.

Jchillin said:
Purrbox said:

Here's some pics I promised.....

29G: See where all the shoots come from at the waterline? It split into 4 shoots at the waterline.
29g238.jpg

29g239.jpg

75G:
75g600.jpg

75g601.jpg

Back
Top Bottom