Amazon sword looking bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My sword isn't doing too well. It's in two inches of Flourite and floramax and was looking awesome before I added the floramax to the tank.

Lights are 1 36 watt fluorescent tube and I dose liquid carbon daily and leaf zone weekly
Here's the whole tank

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Root tabs applied liberally?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not yet, had it for about a month without tabs and it grew from 3 leaves to what it looks like in the photo minus the rotting parts. Did I plant it too deeply with the new substrate or something?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

You need to put root tabs in..

You need to put root tabs in..

+1.
Nothing to do with the plants...raise the water level. The HOB filters will push more water through them with the water level higher than it currently is.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh yeah that photo is on the middle of a water change :)
So I need some root tabs. Okay thanks!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Oh, then you are forgiven :)
The Seachem root tabs are usually found in most LFSs and big box stores. Expensive. An alternative is osmocote+ fertilizer in the clear gelcaps (aka Mebbid's root tabs). There are several folks on here who make their own and sell/trade/RAOK them. I just started using them a few weeks ago. Starting to see new leaves on my crypts in my low light tank. I also put them in my high light tank but hard to say if it has had any effect. Everything, including algae, grow in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And it might be buried a bit too deep as well ? Make sure the crown isn't buried too deep, it's the part where all the leaves come together.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never used root tabs in my tank but I would increase your usage of ferts. You have new green growth and your older leaves appear to have a nitrogen deficiency.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dose 20 ml and it's only supposed to be dosed to 15 for my size tank.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Not necessarily the amount but maybe more often vs once weekly.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a brief deficiency guide.

Attachments

• 1418006731677.jpg
    1418006731677.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 69
Try more root tabs too as others have commented if you feel comfortable with that too.

Back
Top Bottom