Amazon Sword question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do I need to pluck these two leaves? One has a hole in it. Idk what happened.
Also the one on the very left looks weird. Pluck it or leave it? Thanks so much!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393438779.631744.jpg

Not sure which leaves your talking about but if a sword leaf has any damage, is misshapen, or looks to be dying you need to cut them off as close to the crown of the plant as possible. If those types of leaves are left on the plant uses energy on them which is better used on new growth. That is the great thing about Swords, you can trim off leaves and they just keep growing new ones.

Well, the leaf right above the tetra. It has a little hole in it. So if there is anything wrong with a leaf I need to pull it? Thanks!

If it's a tiny hole watch to be sure it doesn't enlarge. You also need to be using root tabs as swords are very heavy root feeders. If the leaf begins getting more small holes do cut, not pull the leaf and stem off. Pulling can damage the crown.

[youtube]_VzF4pA9Oyk[/youtube]

The plants in my video are amazon swords. I think your plant is a type of cryptocorynes (if its fast growing), or anubias (if slow growing).

Beautiful fish.
Well what the heck did I pay for? I paid about $6 (I know, it's not that much) for an AMAZON SWORD. :/

I've only had it a few days. Just added fert tab yesterday. I don't know how fast it grows lol.

I've only had it a few days. Just added fert tab yesterday. I don't know how fast it grows lol.

If it is a crypt, it will grow like a weed. Amazon swords tend to grow slower, but not slowly. My anubias, which I've had for over a year, has only doubled in size.

Swords look exactly like the name implies, long and sharp looking.

:( I don't want a slow growing plant :(

Can some other people please chime in? Does anyone know exactly what kind of plant this is?

Dang it. I feel like taking it back. I want something that grows kind of fast.

Now I want a real amazon sword :(

Let's hope so! I'm going to ask around on here an possibly another forum. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom