Amazon Sword with holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikid88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Only on 1 leaf, but unsure if it's a certain deficiency, or if somethings eating it.
It kind of looks like a small hole is about to break through on another.

There are root tabs throughout, plus dosed with flourish excel daily, flourish comprehensive supplement 2x a week, and flourish potassium 2x week. Started adding potassium to help with a val problem, which it fixed, around the same time I added the sword plant.

My Green hedge (Alternanthera ficoidea var. green) also has some holes, but with browning around the edges of the leaves. It may have a connection to the Sword, but I think it's just because I need to let it float for awhile.

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 287
The ferts are seachem flourish gravel tabs, which has 0.17% available phosphate (P2O5)

Nitrates are on the lower end of 10ppm.

Current lighting is only two 8,000k t8 daylights, but will have another double ballast available once the fish are out of the 75g.
It could be a lighting situation, just the plant guy at lfs said it should grow fine, just slow.

Today there are more holes, and more on the outside of the leaf.
It really looks like something biting it, but strange it's only on 1 leaf?
Plus nothing in the tank is a destructive herbivore, I haven't even seen the nerites on the sword.

Looks to me that something is nibbling on the leaves. The holes are far too big for a nutrient deficiency, IMO.

I have an Amazon sword as well, is there some coloration around the holes? like yellowing. what is your fish stocking? probably something eating at it.

The other leaves seem a bit clear so there could be a deficiency but the holes do not look like a typical nutrient deficiency. They are too randomly shaped and look like they were almost torn out. I don't notice any yellowing or the tips being reabsorbed.

Today there's more holes, plus a small slit on the leaf to the left. Doesn't look like a bite, or decay?

I floated the plant for a little too long when I got it, as some of the leaves started to turn upside down. The wrinkled leaves are the ones turning back upward, but the one with the holes, was a nice straight one in contact with light. Within 60 hours it looks like that. Another small, newer leaf is turning yellow, but it's half shaded from the driftwood.

Also, the plant next to it is browning on most leaves. It was there through the cycle and algae bloom, as the sword was not. They are near the heater, but so are other plants that are even closer, and still healthy. Everything else in the tank has nice shades of green and red.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 124
Here's the other side of the tank. They're just kind of thrown there for the fish-in cycling, it's in week 6. These plants have all been in from weeks 1-4, and look great. The sword is the newest, but I've had some of the others for 6 + months in another tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 126
And sorry, only fish I have in there right now are Yoyos, various tetras for cycling, blue gourami, krib, garra gotyla, upside down synos, snails (that I never see on the sword)

Back
Top Bottom