Amazon Swords exposed to air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radthetad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am still a newbie to this. My amazon swords though have grown and now their leaves are sticking out above the water? It is just the tips of the leaves like about 1/2 an inch. I am just wondering is this bad and what should I do.

Thank You

I don't think it would hurt the plant necessarily, but I'd prune the leaves if it were me. I like my plants below the water line. If you have an open top tank, it might be kinda cool to let it grow.

Many aquatic plants are grown emersed (as opposed to submersed) before they're sold.

hey, Thank you for the answer...when you say prune? Do you mean to cut the leaves themselves or cut the piece that is sticking up? Still a newbie sorry :(

if your sword is actually growing above the water, and you don't mind it, then good stuff ... as it will perform filtration and oxygenation of the substrate much better growing emersed as opposed to submerged.

whenever my swords try to grow out of the water the leaf quickly dries up and dies... must be the very dry air I have here.

I didn't realise that justDIY; why is it emersed plants filter and oxygenate the substrate better? I keep trimming my anubias back because its growing so fast its pushing on the tank hood LOL But maybe I should let it? The leaves themselves are pretty healthy.

If I remember correctly, plants with the "aerial advantage" (from walstad's book) grow faster and stronger, and exhibit increased nutriant absorbption (export?), due to having limitless amounts of O2 and CO2 available, and the rapid growth also causes the roots to export oxygen into the substrate

the only disadvantage is some plants once they come out of the water shed all their submerged growth and become an ugly stem instead of a nice looking plant.

once they come out of the water shed all their submerged growth and become an ugly stem instead of a nice looking plant.

Yes, this is common, especially with the lillies that like to send up floating leaves, then drop all of their submerged leaves to concentrate on the floating ones. They definitely benefit from pruing of those shoots. Any of my plants that grow above the surface shrivel as well, so I tend to prune that leaf off.

Back
Top Bottom