Amazon swords please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
What's up with my amazon swords?
I bough 5 big amazon swords and the leaves are a little see threw, the ends are turning a little yellow and brown and there curling up slightly.
My lights are 6500K, I use tetras substrate and I use plant food, I normally use tetra plant min fertilizer.
The lights are on 10 hours a day (9am-7pm)
All my other plants are doing great. (the amazon swords are growing 2 inches a week)

So any ideas?

Heavy root feeder. Try fert tabs. Also, they shouldn't be planted too deep. Make sure the crown is above the substrate.

Sounds like nutrient deficiencies.

I Agree... add root tabs ... Swords are heavy root feeders.

They could've been grown partially out of water. If this is so, you should simply cut away any dying leaves, add a root tab under each plant and wait for new leaves to grow. They will be healthier leaves that will persist in the plants new underwater home. What's your tank's temp btw?

Yeah iv been looking and a lot of people recommend I do that. So yeah I'll add some as soon as.
Btw I didn't say my tank is new- 5 or 6 weeks
It's 26 degrees

(Sorry I just saw the post above)
Really I use Tetra CompleteSubstrate Why isn't that working?
What brands would you recommend for the tablets?

I use Seachem tabs.

I don't know much about Tetra Substrate, but a quick search provided this post:

Tetra complete substrate

it is basically an inert substrate, with no nitrogen or phosphorous for the plants. It is also unlikely to have any potassium in it. If you use it, and use other than low light, you will want to fertilize the water with NPK* fertilizers.

*nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K)

Okay so the substrate isn't really much help with the amazon swords?
If so its not a complete loss the Indian fears love it :)
Ill look out for them but can I up just use any brand I can get my hands on??

Most aquarium substrates are basically nutrient devoid, and instead present water column nutrients in a presentable way to plants.

Most import question is how much light do you have, and what are your water parameters, specifically nitrate? Any other fast growing plants in the tank?

My water is all at 0ppm except got no3 that's 3ppm
I don't understand what do you mean how much light?
Yes I got two other fast growing plants I have no idea what there called but there growing fine.

Well, your low nitrate is definitely going to be causing you huge issues.

What kind of light do you have? T5HO? T8? PC? etc...

If I say 'FD318' Would that mean anything?

Why would it cause issues?

Insufficient nitrogen causes the plant to basically canabalize its existing nitrogen in the leaves, leading to holes and weak/stunted growth.

And no, those numbers don't really mean anything to me. Is it a stock hood?

Yeah iv noticed that one or two of the leaves have holes

I'm sorry iv looked at the light bulb and the box to the bulb but I can find anything.
The first light (48,inches long stays on for 9 hours)
Arcadia fresh water lamp 36W

The second light (24 inches long stays on for 10 hours)
This one is directly on top of the amazon swords
Arcadia D3 6% UVB 30% UVA 6500K CRI 1A

Aaah!!!!! That Arcadia D3 is a reptile light. Take it out ASAP. It's bad news for aquariums. Change it out for a daylight or aquarium plant bulb.

Oh dear lol the soonest I can Chang it is Saturday I'll keep it off tomorrow. Thank you do much for telling me this.

Same ha ha :) just one last thing, could that have been one reason why they were going funny?

I honestly couldn't say. I don't have any experience using those bulbs outside of reptile setups. I know I read something about the risks of using them on aquariums but it was years ago and only mentioned damage to fish. I think people were trying to see if it was something they could use to fight ich.

Okay no worries, thanks for the recommendations on the tablets and telling me I need a light I'll get them as soon as :)

Back
Top Bottom