Ammonia Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NayaVe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel like I've tried everything! Please tell me your suggestions for products to lower ammonia levels..

Well what are your numbers? Tanks size? Any fish? pH level?? Water changes and live plants are the only things that will reduce ammonia.

I used API zeolite ammonia remover some years back. Partly to try it. It works but imo short-term solution. As above, more tank details will help.

Here's some info I posted in a group on Facebook, hopefully this info helps:

Here's what I think the issue is. I started out my 3 gallon tank with live plants and 2 small common goldfish to help get it established. I didn't expect them to live in all honesty. A week or so later, my water parameters seemed good (was using strips [emoji2356]) so I added a Betta, ghost shrimp, 1 racer snail and 2 guppies. I know it's a lot for such a small tank.. please don't judge. Anyway, after buying the master test kit and seeing the ammonia level that high, I took the goldfish out, put them in a different tank and am currently in the process of rehoming them. After that, I did a 50% water change and the ammonia only went down to about 1.5. I think it was the goldfish being in such a small tank with the tropical fish. But now I'm concerned. One of my guppies has been sitting idle at the top of the tank all day.. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I really don't want to lose my guppy. [emoji53]

Also, I've done two 50% water changes. Yesterday I added a pre-filter and new sponge media to my filter. I left the original cartridge in the filter as well until the new media establishes it's own bacteria.
Last parameters are as follows:
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 1.0 - 1.5 ish
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I haven't been keeping fish for long but my understanding is that if your tank contains ammonia then the nitrites shouldn't be at 0. That would suggest to me that the nitrogen cycle isn't established properly. Because you have fish in the tank already I think you need to use a chemical treatment to help them out. If you read your API test kit booklet there is a water treatment mentioned which can convert the ammonia to a non-toxic form.

Moving forward I would consider the following:
- number of fish in the tank,
- fish and/or plant waste in the tank (syphon the substrate to remove it).
- appropriate filtration.

If you put your goldfish into an established tank you could possibly run your filter media in that filter to collect some of the good bacteria you seem to be missing, or grab a cupful of substrate from a friend's established (and healthy!) tank to help out.

As I say, I haven't been doing this long but I've been researching loads. Hopefully this is helpful advice!

Also, I've done two 50% water changes. Yesterday I added a pre-filter and new sponge media to my filter. I left the original cartridge in the filter as well until the new media establishes it's own bacteria.

No worries, been there. I’m assuming you have checked tap water for ammonia (or whatever is used for water changes)?

Unfortunately tank cycling is a slow process of a month to two months. Some ideas to go with above posts.

Cycled filter media can be bought in the US. Can’t remember the name but an option.

Products that detoxify ammonia are worth a try. I’ve been very happy with seachem safe for many years. Worse case is it may slow tank cycling slightly generally.

Products that add nitrifying bacteria (bacteria in a bottle) - also worth a try. IMO they have gotten better and rarely cause a problem.

Reducing stocking as you mention and water changes - likely daily unfortunately. I’ve had more lightly stocked tanks go more than that in ammonia so unfortunately from the information the ammonia reading could be possible. On the flip side, once cycled the bacteria get pretty bullet-proof.

I remembered it was api nitra-zorb that I used.

There’s not really a medicine that can help with ammonia damage. I’d have some ideas but they’re risky on your young bacterial population. Watch for secondary bacterial / fungal infections. The water changes will help there.

Make sure water changes are roughly similar temperature within 20% and go for smaller, more changes. That’s not always practical here so I’ve put say a betta in a small container of old water, changed 50 to 100% and then floated him back in the container and acclimatised him. Just in case you need to do a 90% water change for ammonia.

Last edited:
Looks like you are right on track with cycling your filter. As mentioned above this will take 3-8 weeks to complete. If this is a fishless cycle, do not change any water as this will remove the necessary ammonia needed in your filter to cultivate your beneficial bacteria. Do not clean the filter either. If you have fish, follow the info here for Fish-In-Cycling.

cycling

so the clear problem here is lack of cycling......and not only are you doing a fish-in-cycle, you're doing it with TONS of plants/fish....you need to check parameters daily, do 25-50% water changes when parameters off (making sure to match up temperatures and dechlorinate new water), feed fish every other day or at least DON'T overfeed. do NOT change the gravel, decorations, filter etc as you're wanting good bacteria to grow. This is my understanding. You need to search around how to cycle a tank properly with fish in the tank. If all your fish end up dying, then search how to do fishless cycling.

Back
Top Bottom