Ammonia Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeyface

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello fish lover friends,

I'm a newbie and am doing my best with the information I get here. This is my situation and planned attack. Max (Betta)is spending a little over his 2nd week with me and is currently back in the cube he came in with conditioned water at the same temp his new 8.8 G planted tank was. He is CLEARLY depressed being back in the cube he came in. I have an API Master test kit and am using Aqueon water conditioner as directed. I appreciate any advice like to add salt or not. Do I need another test for hardness? Thank you in advance. I am an overprotective new Mom. LOL

Below is the tank history. Note that I sucked up some of the sand per a clear to milky slime that had developed. According to Petco guy, this is related to Fort Myers water quality and possible signs of the tank cycle start and not to worry. Also, I lost a Rabbit Snail after only 4 days. I think Max bullied it every time the little guy tried to eat. He was very happy before I introduced Max.

Temps have maintained 76-78 with the heater, depending on the cold front that has been visiting FL. Nitrate-Nitrite and Ammonia have been 0 till now. PH has been 7.8- 8. Right out of the tap the PH is off the chart past 8.8. I subscribe to the less is more thinking and do not add any chemicals per advice read here.

Planted tank is Aqueon 8.8 Gal with Black sand. Bamboo trio and other plant purchased from Petco. I have pictures on my profile to identify the other plant. I am going to rinse the filter in the old tank water, replace the sand, clean his toys and bring the pre-conditioned water up to the existing temp before I put it back in the tank. I'll put Max back in the tank tonight if the water levels are safe. I had no idea about tank cycling BEFORE adding fish but this is a moot point now.

1-26-16 Nitrite .25 Changed 20% of water
2-4-16 Ammonia .25 Changed 50% of water
2-6-16 Ammonia .50 Changed 50% of water
2-6-16 Checked several hours later and still found ammonia at 50%
I did another 50% water change.
2-7-16 Ammonia .50-.75 Freaked out and put Max back in his cube while I replace the sand wash his toys. Oddly the PH now reads 7.4

Hi, the water changes to keep ammonia down sound good.

some thoughts would be to do a test on your tap water for everything and then let tap water de-gas in an open jar for 24hrs, re-test for true ph. Just in case as I see you had done some testing already.

Also does the water conditioner detoxify ammonia?

Myself I wouldn't add the salt unless you thought needed?

Back
Top Bottom