Anacharis and excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have anacharis in my daughters' tank and it will be a high light tank. So before the new light gets here I need to get it used to the glut, I will need to dose it with (I will only have diy co2 for a while). So how do I get it used to it without killing it? It is a 36g tank. I am using full strength metricide. I can cut it but I don't have an extra bottle atm for cutting it.

Some anacharis never adjusts to liquid carbons. You can still use it full strength but I suggest using 1/4ml (full strength) to very 10g to start. Do this for at least a week or two and if the anacharis is fine then up it another 1/4ml for another week or two. You just have to slowly built up. This may or may not work.

Anachris and "Glut"

I have anacharis in my daughters' tank and it will be a high light tank. So before the new light gets here I need to get it used to the glut, I will need to dose it with (I will only have diy co2 for a while). So how do I get it used to it without killing it? It is a 36g tank. I am using full strength metricide. I can cut it but I don't have an extra bottle atm for cutting it.

Hello flit...

I don't believe this plant is on the list of those sensitive to gluteraldehyde. The list I have includes mosses, Java fern, a couple of the Vallisneria species like Corkscrew and most kinds of algae. I used to dose Cidex, which if I'm not mistaken, has a higher level of "glut" than Metricide and the plants were fine, except for those listed. They didn't do very well, so I stopped using it. Your Brazilian water weed, Common water weed or whatever name is currently used should be fine, I've found it to very hardy and tolerant of whatever ferts I've used or does well with no commercial ferts at all.

B

Anacharis is indeed very Glut sensitive and more than not will melt. Jungle val's are also very sensitive. Some mosses are but many are not. Riccia moss is one that is ultra sensitive. I grew Cockscrew Val's for well over a year in a high dosed Glut tank with no issues yet others have them melt. I believe a lot has to do with a tanks individual chemistry as to whether some plants appear sensitive to Glut or not.

Cidex is 2.4% Glut
Metricide 14 is 2.6% Glut
Metricide 28 is 2.5% Glut

I am hoping I can save it. The bits that I put in the tank were at one point in my 37 that I high dose the 14 day solution I got them out because one day they were good and the next they where basically dead. I had them growing really well again in little mini tank to grow out some smaller plants. My girls of course had to pick plants that need higher light so that means I will have to dose their tank as well I will see how it goes maybe I will just send them out with the other plants that I am shipping out next week.

Anacharis is indeed very Glut sensitive and more than not will melt. Jungle val's are also very sensitive. Some mosses are but many are not. Riccia moss is one that is ultra sensitive. I grew Cockscrew Val's for well over a year in a high dosed Glut tank with no issues yet others have them melt. I believe a lot has to do with a tanks individual chemistry as to whether some plants appear sensitive to Glut or not.

Cidex is 2.4% Glut
Metricide 14 is 2.6% Glut
Metricide 28 is 2.5% Glut

Hello Rcats...

Good to know. I'll update my references on "Glut".

Thanks,

B

I think it just needs a long acclimation period. I dose 20 ml of metricide 14 in my 75 and they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom