Anacharis/Elodea ....flowers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried taking a picture but they are so small, only about 1/4 inch they won't show with my lousy digital but I will describe best I can.

Three seperate plants have what appear to be very short "shoots" coming out with small yellow tops. I see other starts of new plants coming out in other plces but these are the only yellow ones.

I have seen nothing on anacharis "flowering" but will keep this up to date daily as they show me more of what they are going to turn into and maybe I will get a descent picture of them to show.

Very cool. I will be interested to see your flowers. From what I remember anacharis flowering is not too big though. They must be happy plants.

Mine flowered in my pond. What sort of lighting do you have, I have only heard of them doing this in very high light situations.

download.php

It is an eclipse natural daylight flourescent bulb that I just started using a week ago! I had been switching back and forth with a Wally World Plant grow bulb for 3 weeks before that. The tank is very. VERY, bright since I switched to the flourescent so that could be the trigger for the flowers.

The anacharis seems happy on top but the roots and parts I put in the gravel still rott in less than a week and I have to replant them all the time. I will be getting some type of fertilizer as the roots need something to help them get established.

I will do my best to get a picture of the flowers when, if they open.

One thing I forgot that might have made a difference. I took the lids to two peanut butter jars and drilled a hole in the middle and one side and put it over my stacks to my undergravel filter. This cut down drastically on the surface agitation in most of the tank so maybe the CO2 is higher and causing the blooms also.

Houston, We have roots!

FInally getting roots on about half of my anacharis! The flowers never got larger than the tip of the lead in a pencil but the roots are taking hold everywhere. Hopefully the long roots will pull the plant stems down to the substrate like bulb roots do so often. It is funny because the roots are all coming out half way up the plants and not at the part planted in the substrate.

Here's to dumb luck! :multi:

Back
Top Bottom