Angelfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoobfoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been debating on converting my 36 gallon bowfront community tank into an angelfish tank.

We have one juvenile marbled angelfish in the community tank and he(?) has captivated the heart of my boyfriend and all of our visitors. Being used to the other shy/standoffish fish in the tank, we think the curious and interactive angelfish is a fun contrast.

I know angelfish require plenty of space, so I was thinking 4 angelfish total and keeping the panda corys already in the tank as bottom feeders. I’ll be taking out the bloodfins and moving them to their own river tank.

IMG_0344.jpg
You can see the angelfish towards the top, begging for food like a typical angel

I have the exact same setup with a different stand. I was told 4 angelfish is plenty for a 36G. I have 2 at the moment with 6 corys, a pleco, 2 loaches, and a everlasting tetra. I say do it but then again I am partial to angelfish. :)

Pretty tank. A small grouping of Angels would certainly shine in there. I've kept Angels and Discus, both beautiful fish, but looked even better with a contrasting school of larger, fast swimming tetras. Maybe a small school of Columbian, Bleeding Hearts, or Black Phantom tetras.

As someone with an adult angelfish in 36g, I wouldn't do more then one. It certainty commands the tank.

But very awesome fish, I've even trained it to eat from my finger tips. And it always watched me in my rion

Angels are gorgeous. I have 6 smalls in my 75 gallon. I love them. They remember me of little puppy's. Everytime I get near the tank they come rushing up to the front. Your tank is very pretty. Add a few more taller plants in some spots, just so they have they're space. As they get bigger and start calming places in the tank and if nipping starts take them all out and rearrange the tank and put them back in. Oh and make sure you try to get the same size as the one you already have. If you desire to get veils you might want to get a bigger tank or just go with a couple. The fines are long and need more room.

4 in a 36 gallon is too much. I would go for two or three. However I suggest to put all at once the number of angels you want. After they are added they will be very territorial and won't welcome any new Angel in tank.

4 in a 36 gallon is too much. I would go for two or three. However I suggest to put all at once the number of angels you want. After they are added they will be very territorial and won't welcome any new Angel in tank.

Not even that, if they paired up it would be a nightmare and bully everything.

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ve heard many different views on how many angels can comfortably go in a 36 gallon. My current one still is still a juvenile so he’s not territorial or aggressive *yet*.

Since 36 gallons is about the limit for angelfish, I’ve decided to find another angelfish mine will hopefully pair with, so at least they’ll have each other along with some tankmates.

The lighting in my tank is poor so I’ve had bad luck with tall stem plants. I’m working on upgrading the lightbulb but since I bought everything as a set I don’t know if it’s possible [emoji30]

You don't have to do plants, you can do rocks and make your own caves. Or just get a few caves. I have a few plants and I took rocks and slate rocks(flat) made caves for them. They love it. You got lots of time to upgrade while they grow. They stay smaller longer if you don't feed them lot. Once maybe twice a day is good. And you'll be lucky if you find a mate by just getting one more. Better luck on mates is 5-6.

Back
Top Bottom