Another algae ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I set up this 20 gallon long tank up about a week ago with flourite black sand finnex fugeray planted+ Running for about 14 hours. I know that's really long but that is as short as I can make it, I only have a timer for the co2, but will be getting another shortly. And a paintball co2 system going at 2 bubbles a second for 9 hours a day at with about 20 cherry shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 Amano, 6 assassin snails (I don't have any pond snails or pest snails right now I just freaked out because I saw two in the same day and killed them so I got six but haven't seen any since then), and finally 2 trumpet snails. I dose phosphates 2 times a week, potassium about every other week, and iron a half dose every week. (I think the iron may be the culprits because did an over dose when I set it up because I added a huge amount of red plants that weren't that red). This it the stuff it is on my java moss, ludwigia repens and needle leaf, ambulia, and my dwarf hair grass. How should I solve this, the tank is going threw the nitrogen cycle right now so I don't what to end up replacing all the water and have to start the cycle over again. The shrimp are new so I don't want to stress them out too much with a big water change they were introduced earlier this afternoon.

Attachments

• image-3965573568.jpg
    image-3965573568.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image-562739672.jpg
    image-562739672.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 61
It's hard to see in the pic's but I'd say it's hair algae. Most likely it running lighting 14 hours that is causing it. Why can't you run the lighting less?

It's not so bad yet so I just wanted to jump on it as fast as possible. I will try to get a better pic to.
I leave for school at six a.m. And get home at eight Buti Will most like go to the store this weekend to buy a timer and we have christmas break now, so I can monitor the lights for a couple weeks. so would it be a good idea to do a 2 or 3 day black out. I don't like hydrogen peroxide because last time I used it I lost all my shrimp.

Attachments

• image-1704753276.jpg
    image-1704753276.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 48
The 14h photoperiod is probably not doing you any favors. Additionally, why is your CO2 only on for 9h? Inconsistent CO2 levels and a frank lack of CO2 can also cause issues, which may well be playing into the algae as well.

K, thanks for the replies.
Will update in a few weeks to see if the problem is gone.
I have another order of plants coming in today would it be dumb of me to put them in this tank?

I would cut it down to 6 hours a day for a few weeks and then bring it up 30 minutes every 2 weeks until you find the sweet spot. You may also want to start the co2 about an hour before the lights come on.

I also would look into dosing more nutrients. I didn't see that you were dosing any macro nutrients in the original post.

EDIT: I saw phosphates, and you're cycling.

Back
Top Bottom