another co2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
i hate to start another co2 thread but i dont want to highjack anyones. my ?? is how dose a pH controller work, not how does it take readings but how dose it control the pH in a co2 hightek light tank.

does it turn the co2 solenoid on and off? or does it add a buffer to the tank to control the pH?

i found a nice looking set up on ebay that comes witha milwaukee MA957 reg. with a solenoid, neddel valve, and bubble counter. along with a milwaukee SMS122 pH controller. all for about $200 shipped to my door.

I have that exact setup you are looking at... it has been a good one.

Injecting CO2 lowers the pH. The more CO2, the lower the pH. The solenoid plugs into the controller. When the pH controller hits a certain pH, it turns on the solenoid. When the pH then drops to the set level, the pH controller turns off the solenoid. The deadband is wide enough so that it doesn't constantly switch on and off, but it will hold the pH of your tank to the nearest tenth or so very well, which will maintain an extremely consistent level of CO2.

It is very possible to inject CO2 successfully without a pH controller, but it is a very accurate method for controlling your injection, and keeping CO2 pH swings to almost nil (although pH swings from CO2 aren't all that detrimental to a tank).

i thank both of you very much. its going on a 10gal tank and i was worried that that small of a tank would get in a pH swing very easy. so with co2 i shouldnt have to worry as much about alge rite? or is that wishfull thinking?

It's partly true. While I think your reduced lighting period we talked about last night will help tremendously, co2 is good about helping with that. Honestly, I don't see much need in a pH controller. Sure, they're good for peace of mind, but once you get it set, its set. A drop checker and a timer is much cheaper than a pH controller IMO, and you still want a drop checker to visually verify you're at the right level of co2 anyways... but it's your choice.

It can help keep algae under control, but it will not be a cure all/catch all.

I run a pH controller on 1 of my 5.5 gal tanks, and just a timer on the other. The one with the controller stays exactly constant... the other swings a bit over the course of the photperiod and light/dark cycle, but have never had any ill effects that I could attribute to the CO2 injection.

so do you think that in the long run i would be better off without a pH controller, because lack of needing it? with a timer would that just run the solenoid? i know i have seen where your suposed to turn on the co2 30-60min before the lights and off 30-60 before they go out.

It is up to you, and up to your budget. A pH controller is certainly a far more accurate way to inject CO2... but the accuracy is not a requirement.

If you use a timer, you would want to set it up as you described...

I wouldn't say better off, but you could use that $100 for something else other than something that is more of a convenience than a necessity. You've got it right.

Here's what I got- $89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping! and I also bought a drop checker. You'll need a diffuser of some sort, which a glass diffuser would probably be best in a 10g. Then a cylinder.. you may find them cheap locally, or you can order a 5lb for about $50 from kegerator.com or amazon.

i like the idea of using the $100 else where. i was looking at difusers and tanks and i think the 5lb tank i found on amazon was about $70 shipped.
im still a week or so away from ordering anything. so i have time to look and learn lol. with a drop checker do you leave the glass bulb looking thing in your tank for good, or is it just a temp thing that you remove after an hour or so? what would be a good one to get i have found them from $3 to $35 is more better?

They all work the same. The $3 one will be fine.

You will also need some 4dKH solution to use with it however. You can make it (see the sticky in the plant forum) or you can buy a bottle for $5 on ebay. Most folks leave their drop checker in 24/7. You could put it in and take it out if you were so inclined (but it does take 30+ min to register, so it would need to be in for at least that long to get an accurate reading).

ok so i lied lol i just ordered the tank from the like you posted. im bad for that if i see a deal i have to have it now haha so it looks like im getting into the co2 game now.

i hope so i just ordered a drop checker with the solution and a glass deffuser that rated for upto a 20gal tank. so all i need to get now is a reg kit and a timer that can run 2 things separetly. and i should be good to go. ather than makin a stand to put the tank under and hide the controles.

I just bought two $5 timers from walmart for mine

And, it has to be upright.. otherwise, you have the potential to mess up the regulator and who knows what else

ok good to know. how tall is yours total with reg and bubble counter on? ill have a few weeks till things start coming together so ican start looking at a stand to hide everything in.(tank is on my dresser not a stand. so gona try to put a nite stand looking thing between my dresser and gun cabinet

26-32" I would think... with the regulator and bubble counter screwed on.

Back
Top Bottom