another level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickyc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to this site, and about to set up my new vision 180 :D

I'd like to have a raised area on one side to the give the tank a different look to my current 2 foot. I'm looking for something about 12-15cm from the floor. I've seen this done in marine tanks with 'egg crate' but not sure how to achieve this given that I'll need substrate up there.

Any ideas?!

Thanks,

Nicky

Welcome to AA!!!

You could build a wall of slate and have a higher level of substrate behind it. You could do the same with a piece of driftwood. You could have a mound with sloping gravel as well.

Welcome to AA!

I used slate to make "levels" in my tank before. My LFS has the most amazing 125 gallon FW tank with a very long wall of stacked slate, most of it about 12-15 cm. With slate you wouldn't have to worry about having substrate up top, but I'm not sure you want a solid wall.

Thanks both!

Slate is not a bad idea - I've done a bit of that in the tank I've got now and then put some planted wood on top. To get the height I'm after I'd have to find some more.

The gravel worries me a bit though as I would have thought that a large mound would give me too much inert substrate and some nasty bacteria??

I'd like to grow tiger lotus or something similar on the raised area. I had one of those before and it was a bit floppy which would be perfect up there - as well as adding some colour.

I'd wondered about constructing something with plastic and having a small tray of substrate for the plants. I've got a beautiful bit of rock that could stand in front and cover anything ugly

I've got a few more weeks to plan this - I've got the tank but need to decorate the room first!!

thanks again
Nicky

Back
Top Bottom