Another Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwohlge1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 18w bulb 8k for my 25 gallon. I have an Anacharis, Hornwort, and a Cabomba. I keep reading that about wpg, is less than 1wpg going to be enough?

WPG is, IMO, about the same as inch per gallon... it just doesn't work. You have really low light. The cabomba would be my concern, but if its doing ok, dont worry. IME, what works for one doesn't always work for someone else in terms of lighting.

Most likely no, low light plants like at least two wpg. You should probably have around 3 wpg

I have a 18w bulb 8k for my 25 gallon. I have an Anacharis, Hornwort, and a Cabomba. I keep reading that about wpg, is less than 1wpg going to be enough?

IMO no, u need at least 2 WPG so they can grow at their most beauty.

Well the Anacharis has really taken off. The Hornwort is new, but the Cabomba has been really slow growing. I also use root tabs.

Attachments

• image-3861531654.jpg
    image-3861531654.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 53
You don't need 2 WPG for low light plants. I agree with pretty much everything 'rook said... The only problem that might arise is the cabomba might not survive long term, but so long as it is staying green you are fine.

If you have a nitrate test kit, just test your nitrate every now in then. Anacharis can be a nitrate sponge, so if it is consistently staying at less than 5ppm, you might consider adding an N supplement.

I have 2 goldfish Nitrates aren't a problem. Weekly water changes keep nitrates between 5-10 ppm

Then you are in good shape as far as plants. I doubt you will see much of a need for additional fertilizer.

The stocking police will be along shortly to arrest you for the goldfish however ;)

2 FGF in a 25 is five gallons short. Between water changes and plants my Nitrates barely make it above 10. :)

Sounds good, I am sure it will work out. The nitrate sponges (hornwort/anacharis) will really help out.

As soon as we get a bigger house I am upgrading... Unfortunately I have about two years till that happens.

So the Cambomba is starting to turn brown. The hornwort and the Anacharis are doing awesome. Should I pull the Cambomba out and get another low light plant?

So the Cambomba is starting to turn brown. The hornwort and the Anacharis are doing awesome. Should I pull the Cambomba out and get another low light plant?

My cabomba stems are brown but leaves are green. Do u use any ferts?

I don't use any ferts bit my Nitrates never go below 5ppm. The leaves on my Cabomba where brown. I trimmed all the brown off and replanted. I am thinking about removing the Cabomba and added a Wisteria.

Dwohlge1 said:
I don't use any ferts bit my Nitrates never go below 5ppm. The leaves on my Cabomba where brown. I trimmed all the brown off and replanted. I am thinking about removing the Cabomba and added a Wisteria.

Okay!

Since cabomba are stem plants and r not heavy root feeders liquid ferts would help!!! If u want it to live try a liquid fert such as API Leaf Zone. All it can do is help the cabomba and other plants! :)

Back
Top Bottom