Another plant ID....how to trim this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's the plant in the center of the picture, in the back of the tank. Another grab bag item....not sure what it is but it seems happy! The leaves kinda looks like a narrow leaf Java fern but has a stem and regular roots. Does not seem to be a fast grower.

P1000488.JPG

The bright green with long leaves looks like...

Hygrophila costata

If that is what it is...a very nice slow growing plant...gets to be very thick bush.

Looks like Hygrophila angustifolia. I have had that in one of my tanks for like 10 years---great plant.

The pink in the stems makes me think it is not Hygrophila angustifolia.

The leaves are too narrow IMO Hygrophilia corymbosa v. 'Stricta'

Hygrophila costada does get red stems, but only while emersed, at the same time the emersed leaves get red veins. This one does not have the red veins on leaves.

Hygrophila salicifolia I am not very familiar with this one, but it is certainly a good candidate for what that plant it. Almost everything fits.

That said, plants are so variable from tank to tank. I have had a plant I was convinced was one thing in one tank, and thru it in another tank and it looked different enough for me to change my mind on what it is.

Does not seem to be a fast grower

Well.....it's now growing like a weed.....so much for the slow-growing idea. So my next question....how would I trim this plant? Cut the top off and replant? Will the bottom keep growing if I do that (ie will I get two plants?).

Seems like most Hygrophilias can be propagated by cuttings, so I would guess that yes you can cut it and replant.

yeah, cut the top, replant...and expect the bottom to grow 2 stems from the cut point if you do it at the node. if you don't cut at the node, the bototm likely won't grow anymore.

Yes the node is where the leaves attach to the stem. I always was cut just above the nodes with very sharp scissors, so there is no tearing.

Back
Top Bottom