Another Pressurized CO2 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was using a redsea 500 reactor but it wasn't doing the job very well for numerous reasons so I bought a maxi jet 900 and stuck some sponge filter material in the pre filter then pushed the co2 hose thru the bottom. Problem is I'm running 5 bps and still not showing green on my drop checker. Any help would be appreciated.its a 75 gallon tank with a dual t5ho aquaticlife fixture and a dual t5no fixture. I have no surface turbulence at all.

I'm not totally sure, but I think BPS is relative to the size of the tank. I run 2-3 BPS on my nano and it gives me a nice lime green. Five on your 75 gallon would not be much. My advice is to crank it up a little and see how it works. :)

I'm not totally sure, but I think BPS is relative to the size of the tank. I run 2-3 BPS on my nano and it gives me a nice lime green. Five on your 75 gallon would not be much. My advice is to crank it up a little and see how it works. :)

I'm not sure how much more I wanna crank it up. My tank looks carbonated lol

Yeah, they do take a while to change. Are you turning on you co2 when lights go on, or a couple hours before?

When the lights turn on. They are on the same timer. I tried to hunt a timer down a few days ago but everyone was sold out.

When the lights turn on. They are on the same timer. I tried to hunt a timer down a few days ago but everyone was sold out.

Yeah, whenever you can find another timer, try turning the co2 on a few hours before the lights. I'm not sure how long it will take to saturate a tank your size. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a more specific time range.

Yeah, whenever you can find another timer, try turning the co2 on a few hours before the lights. I'm not sure how long it will take to saturate a tank your size. Hopefully someone else can chime in with a more specific time range.

Hopefully. I feel as though the powerhead method is working the bubbles are a mist and take around 10-15 seconds to reach the surface because the spraybars from the canisters keep beating them back down so I'm pretty sure I'm getting good co2 saturation in the water. Now I just have to see how long a 20 oz paintball bottle will last lol.

How much surface agitation so you have? 5 bps is not an insignificant amount of co2 on a tank that size if you're getting good diffusion and not having much off-gasing. Can you see the pH go down between before your co2 comes on and several hours after it comes on?

How much surface agitation so you have? 5 bps is not an insignificant amount of co2 on a tank that size if you're getting good diffusion and not having much off-gasing. Can you see the pH go down between before your co2 comes on and several hours after it comes on?

I've been working a lot lately so haven't been able to check ph before and after. Today when I got home the drop checker was green and the lights have been on for 2 hours. Does putting the co2 on a timer to come on 30 minutes before the lights and go out 30 minutes before sound like a good idea? I have no surface agitation you can see a current on top tho but that probably because with the 2 canisters and powerhead Im pushing 800 gph

Just thought of something. I made reactor and if i attached it to the powerhead outflow

image-339648261.jpg

and put filter floss on the bottom and fill it with bio balls do you think it would completely dissolve the co2? I found an elbow to make the hose not kinked

I've been working a lot lately so haven't been able to check ph before and after. Today when I got home the drop checker was green and the lights have been on for 2 hours. Does putting the co2 on a timer to come on 30 minutes before the lights and go out 30 minutes before sound like a good idea? I have no surface agitation you can see a current on top tho but that probably because with the 2 canisters and powerhead Im pushing 800 gph

Well, it sounds like you're getting dissolution now. Did you change anything?

I turn my CO2 on an hour before my lights come on. It's a good plan.

Just thought of something. I made reactor and if i attached it to the powerhead outflow

View attachment 174098

and put filter floss on the bottom and fill it with bio balls do you think it would completely dissolve the co2? I found an elbow to make the hose not kinked

If you're going to do that, I would take the bioballs out altogether as they're probably not really doing anything. I would also try to find some way to add the CO2 on the output side of the powerhead. In this particular situation, you'll benefit from bigger bubbles.

Well, it sounds like you're getting dissolution now. Did you change anything?

I turn my CO2 on an hour before my lights come on. It's a good plan.

No I didn't I'm trying for 100 dissolved co2 since Im running paintball I won't zero wasted did you see the diy reactor pic I posted?

Back
Top Bottom