Another question about my fish stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plantedtankman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that I've posted a lot of threads about my fish stock. Hopefully I'm not annoying anyone haha. But I would like to get this right. Okay... I've decided to get Amano Shrimp in my tank because I need something other than Cory Cats to help me clean up my tank. I still have my Congo Tetras, but I have since sold my Rosy Barbs. Should I sell my Congo Tetras? I have 5 of them in a 30 gallon tank (3 male, 2 female). My pH is 6.8. This could be my stock:

6 Marbled Hatchetfish
7 Bentos Tetras
9 Cory Catfish
4 Panda Garra Loaches
4 Amano Shrimp
5 Congo Tetras/8 Cardinal Tetras/7 Rummynose Tetras
1 or 2 German Blue Rams/2 Dwarf Gouramis

What would you do? Thanks for the help!

That is most likely to many fish. I like your idea dont get me wrong... I want to stock my 30 gallon with rams, angels, and neon t's. I am also considering shrimp and maby mollies/swordtails or something like that. So we can pick out our fish together, haha. But back to you, that is too many fish, I would either, limit the number of fish in each species, which would give you more variety. Or you could take away some species which would look more organized and balanced. But then again, you dont get as much variety.

Okay. I definitely don't want to I overstock my tank. How about this?

5 Marbled Hatchetfish
6 Bentos Tetras
4 Panda Garra Loaches
3 Amano Shrimp
7 Cardinal Tetras or 6 Rummynose Tetras or 5 Congo Tetras
8 Cory Catfish
2 Dwarf Gouramis or 1 Ram

Still sound overstocked? Would you keep the Congo Tetras if you were me? I reduced the numbers a little bit. Maybe I could get smaller shrimp. Oh and for your tank I wouldn't get Angelfish with Neon Tetras. The Neons would be dinner haha

I still think that is too much. I am not really for the 1" per gallon rule, because I believe if it is a schooling fish you can have three one inch fish in a one gallon tank. So you can keep that in mind. But probably limit yourself to 45 inches of full grown fish at the max. And my tank will also be planted, and I am concerned with the dirt In the air making the tank cloudy. Would you recommend a uv sterilizer?

I have an Eheim filter and my water is crystal clear. I also do weekly water changes. Since your tank is going to be planted make sure to get gravel like Eco Complete and supplements like Flourish Excel. I would only get UV Sterilizers for saltwater tanks. Oh and make sure you have a good cover for your tank.

Yeah I have black eco complete comming in the mail. My lid is good and secure. Right now I have a planted 55 that is using a 90 gallon aqueon filter and its still not crystal clear

Ive ben cycling the water for about two days and the substrate will be here in around 4 days. Out of the tank filter.

I'm sure your tank water will clear up. Although, it will be cloudy for a while when you put the gravel in. You might want to turn off the filter and take out all of the water before you put in the gravel.

The idea was to cycle a full tank with a little water from my previous tank to start bacteria. Then when the substrate arrives. Take out 90% of the water to aquascape.

Oh I see. I usually cycle my tanks with hardy fish, but your method is probably better than mine.

I know that I've posted a lot of threads about my fish stock. Hopefully I'm not annoying anyone haha. But I would like to get this right. Okay... I've decided to get Amano Shrimp in my tank because I need something other than Cory Cats to help me clean up my tank. I still have my Congo Tetras, but I have since sold my Rosy Barbs. Should I sell my Congo Tetras? I have 5 of them in a 30 gallon tank (3 male, 2 female). My pH is 6.8. This could be my stock:

6 Marbled Hatchetfish
7 Bentos Tetras
9 Cory Catfish
4 Panda Garra Loaches
4 Amano Shrimp
5 Congo Tetras/8 Cardinal Tetras/7 Rummynose Tetras
1 or 2 German Blue Rams/2 Dwarf Gouramis

What would you do? Thanks for the help!

If your tank is planted with stem plants then this should be fine, if by / you mean or, so 5 congo tetras OR 8 cardinals Or 7 rummys. Shrimp don't add much to the bioload, so it looks like more fish than it really is. Maybe lower the number of corys. Is this tank 36x16x12. I think that is the dimensions for a 30.

If your tank is planted with stem plants then this should be fine, if by / you mean or, so 5 congo tetras OR 8 cardinals Or 7 rummys. Shrimp don't add much to the bioload, so it looks like more fish than it really is. Maybe lower the number of corys. Is this tank 36x16x12. I think that is the dimensions for a 30.

Yeah that's what I mean. So do you think my Congos will do fine in my 30 gallon? It is 36 inches by 14 inches by 12 inches. My tank might be a 29 gallon

The idea was to cycle a full tank with a little water from my previous tank to start bacteria. Then when the substrate arrives. Take out 90% of the water to aquascape.

Water doesn't contain a lot of the beneficial bacteria, I would suggest taking some filter media out of the other tank and adding it to the filter of the new tank. Or don't set the new tank up and run the new filter on the old tank essentially having two filters running.

I also added a hand full of gravel. From the other tank.

Has anyone ever had Congo Tetras in a 29 gallon before? Mine are doing fine, but can they live their entire lives in my tank successfully?

Thats an answer ive been looking for.I want to add a shrimp and or snail to my tank but Idk off it will be okay with rams.

A snail should be fine with a ram...and amano shrimp should also be fine since they get bigger than most other shrimp but make sure it has plenty of places to hide

A snail should be fine with a ram...and amano shrimp should also be fine since they get bigger than most other shrimp but make sure it has plenty of places to hide

That's good! I'll probably get some Java Moss along with the Amano Shrimp and Rams. My tank is planted too so I bet it will work.

Back
Top Bottom