another substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach_1_6

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ive narrowed my options for subsrate to flourite of some kind. i really like the black sand flourite has and was wondering what the pros and cons of that is? i will have a c02 system and 2 x 96 watt lights on the tank, it is a 65 gal, thanks.

you just have to clean it thats really the only down side. also as long as you know what it does. it doesnt really have any ferts just a few trace minerals. i would use root tabs if you have heavy root feeders.

Black sand is an awesome choice. I use Estes' Marine Sand Ultra Reef, it is not a fluorite sand but it is VERY uniform, a great grain size, and doesn't need to be cleaned. If I had to supplement eithe rway I would go with the Estes'.

I didn't care for the black flourite sand when I used it. Its really fine and even after rinsing for what seemed like forever, it had alot of silt in it and every time I disturbed it (for planting or whatever) it clouded up the whole tank and I couldn't see a thing. Maybe if I had more patience and rinsed it for hours, it would have been ok.

I have used the Black Flourite (regular stuff) and had no issues with it. My plants grew wonderfully and it didn't cloud up when I was planting. I didn't rinse it long either and just filled the tank up slow initially and it wasn't very cloudy.

allright, well i think i am going to use eco-complete as it doesnt make the way all dirty, i heard it is the same to flourite... is that true?

thanks, i am going to try and find some eco-complete today when i go to some stores. hopfully they have some.

bought my wifes eco complete (black) from big al's a week ago. it was on sale for $16 for a 20 pound bag...got her three bags. and free shipping as well. was surprised to get free shipping on those since they're so heavy.

Back
Top Bottom