Anubias Bart. and Nana have small black specs on leaves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my Anubia Bart and Nana for about 5 weeks now. They have both grown new leaves, but this week these little black dots are appearing on the leaves.

Is this a symptom of a lack of some nutrient? I have not been fertilizing or anything.

Recently when I was researching what plants I wanted in my tank, I came across a description of some plant or another (forget which one) that said something along the lines of, "prefers acidic water; if the pH is too high, this plant will develop black spots on the leaves."

Don't know if this applies to your situation, but at least I'll throw it out for consideration.

Possibly. My pH has shifted up frmo 7-7.6 over the past few weeks. I introduced about a handfull of crushed coral to bring up my kH. My kH slowly went from 1-4 degrees, and my pH seems to be rising too...slowly. However, Anubias should be happy 6-5 to 7.5 pH according to liveaquaria where I bought it.

Well, I am working to bring the pH back down a bit (slowly), so I'll see what happens.

INterestinly enough, my watersprite which "prefers acidic water" is growing like crazy. Its almost out of the water now. 8O

Well, my A. bartari nana is doing well in my 7.8 water. I do have black spots, but these are algae & they rub off (with difficulties!).

How big are the spots? Mine are fine like table salt or smaller and are appearing from teh edge of the leaves and moving in towards the center.

IME when variants of A. barteri are grown in areas where they get more than just shaded light they have a tendency to develop minor black spot algae on their leaves, especially the older leaves that are exposed to direct light. I've found that increasing the PO4 levels in the tank to 1.0-1.5 ppm has helped to remedy this. HTH :)

Back
Top Bottom