anubias coffeefolia wrinkling up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggbii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 29 gallon planted tank with Amazon sword fern, water sprite, anubias nana, anubias coffeefolia, and red crypts. I put all the plants in a few days ago and everything seems to be doing fine with a little bit of melting, but the anubias coffeefolia is wrinkling up and darkening at the edges. I'm dosing the tank with API co2 booster, API leaf zone, flourish iron, flourish trace elements, and flourish root tabs. I just wanna know if there's any additional supplements I should be putting in the tank to help the anubias coffeefolia from wrinkling up so much. Is it too much light?? Or is it just the transition to submersed. IMG_5686.jpgIMG_5685.jpg

I think it's gotta be one of the liquid additives you're using. What's your water like?

I'm having better results with it in 2 tanks; one with co2 and high light one without. Both of these tanks are well above neutral tho, just under 8. My congonesis is yellowing in the low-light tank. Hope this helps

Temp is 79F
Ph is 6.5
Hardness is 6
Kh 5
No nitrates or ammonia

"No nitrates" that's your problem right there. U need to have nitrates present or your plants arnt getting fed. Planted tanks should always be between 10-20 nitrate or they don't have a supply of nitrogen to feed on [emoji106]

"No nitrates" that's your problem right there. U need to have nitrates present or your plants arnt getting fed. Planted tanks should always be between 10-20 nitrate or they don't have a supply of nitrogen to feed on [emoji106]

I'd up the nitrate as Bert mentioned. A lack of nitrate will cause old growth to yellow and shrivel up. Anubias are as the hardiest of the hardiest. A perfect low light plant. If this is a high light tank, shade it. With higher lighting, it is prone to algae.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Bert2oo1 and fish enthusiast are right and wrong. Aquarium plants are biologically suited to take up ammonia in the wild as it is their primary form of food, so you can technically feed your plants with ammonia and have your filter take the rest out. That being said the plants need some form of nitrogen. Since there is no ammonia OR nitrate in the tank your plants are effectively starving. I'd definitely give them one or the other and given the acidic pH your ammonia would like be converted into ammonium which is a primary form of plant food. either way your plants need nitrogen

Back
Top Bottom