Anubias Flowering - New Pics 8/3/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purrbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it looks like my Anubias is getting ready to flower. It's sent up a shoot that looks nothing like a new leaf. I can hardly wait for it to open up so I can get some pics.

Quick question though. I noticed today that the bud is streaming bubbles like you would see if a leaf was injured. Is this normal with Anubias buds, or did it maybe get nicked by something as it's working towards the surface?

Hmmm... I might have to try to get some pics of the bud later today too.

Quick question though. I noticed today that the bud is streaming bubbles like you would see if a leaf was injured. Is this normal with Anubias buds, or did it maybe get nicked by something as it's working towards the surface?

Mine do this aswell, then they do it again when the clown loaches pick it apart or the balas snap the flower off :(

They are very nice flowers, they usually take about 7 days to open, I've had as many as 3 open in the tank at 1 time, barterii var baterii seems to send flowers up higher (and they are a bit larger). Last one I didn't get a good picture of before the bala snapped it's head off.. (center core).

Congrats, I look forward to the pics :)

Thanks Wiz. Glad to know that my Anubias isn't the only one to do this. Also nice to have a better idea of how much longer I will probably have to wait. The bud has only been there a couple of days, so I've probably got five more days to go.

It finally opened today!! Pics!

Attachments

• anubiasbloom_1_104.jpg
    anubiasbloom_1_104.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 81
Very nice. It's also nice that they do that underwater too.

That looks like Barterii var Barterii, the ridges are not something I've seen on a nana variant.

It's actually an Anubias Nana.

I must agree that it's really cool. This is the first time that I've ever had an Anubias bloom for me. It's gotta be due to all the great information I've learned about keeping aquarium plants from everyone here. Thanks all!

Look at the edges of the leaves, var Nana are smooth edges, var barterii are saw like edges. But then again it could be the ripples in the water, cool none-the-less. :)

It's just the way the leaves looks through the water surface. The edges are all smooth, although the leaves aren't always completely flat. Check out my photo log of this tank for a better view.

Looks like one of my Barteri are getting ready to send up another flower, gonna have to try to get a picture before the fish eat it this time :roll:

Well, the fish ate the ones that came up last time, but I managed to get one now that the Balas aren't in the tank anymore.

AnubiasFlower.jpg

The dark green spot off to the right corner is the stump from the old flower that I haven't cut off yet :roll:

I know its old hat to you at this point, but congrats anyway! :)

Well the Anubias went and bloomed again. This time only four months after being split and underwater of all things. Enjoy!

Attachments

• anubiasbloom2_2_211.jpg
    anubiasbloom2_2_211.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom