Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anubias Nana Algae spots

I don't know what is causing it because nothing else in the tank has algae on it.

pH 6.6
dGH 8-9
dKH 7
NO3 - 20
NO2 - 0
PO4 - 1.5-2
10 gallon tank 3+w/g NO
Su, Tue, Thur - KNO3 1/8tsp, K2SO4 1/4tsp, 1 tsp PO4 mixed 1 tsp in 100ml water. Other days CSM+B to 0.2-0.3ppm iron. 1/2 tsp MgSO4 once a week, will be put in water to prvenet GH swings. Working on dissolving Calcium Citrate for Calcium source for GH balance. No dosing Saturday.

What do I need to change in my dosing to prevent tha algae from attacking my nana's leaves?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of spots? Black BBA-ish spots point towards the need for more CO2. Green spot algae points toward PO4 and/or CO2 deficiency. Its normal to have green spot on such slow growers, and most increase PO4 dosing to compensate.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was just about the post the same exact question !!!! My anubias are covered in green spot algae.
Will increasing P04 help to kill / remove (substitute the correct word) the green spot algae that is already there ?
Is there a source of P04 in a common household product or do I need to buy it from Greg Watson's ??
Old 09-16-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well mine have little black spots around the edges and in the middle. No visible "hairs" though. It is starting to get shaded but I don't like it because the growth has also slowed considerably. I may leave it shaded to see if the algae gets thwarted but I like the faster growth with the direct lighting.

Will see if it goes away when I set up a powerhead reactor and pump my CO2 up to 70-90ppm. Hopefully it won't hurt the fish but if I have algae and have an average of 50-60ppm CO2 and my nutrients should be at high enough levels with EI then 70-90 is the next step and a completely efficient reactor should give me that.

The only other thing I need to find is air masks for my fish!

Joannde, fleet enema sold in pharmacies is used to dose PO4 by a lot of people. Somewhere there is a post about how much to dose and how to measure it.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Since your KH swings and all, trust the plants and fish more than the numbers for CO2 ppm. Many feel the pH/KH/CO2 chart is at best inaccurate.

If you're using 4L of DIY CO2 in 10gals, you may have 90ppm, but fwiw I usually reach 40-45ppm with 2L per 10gal with 100% diffusion using the pH/KH/CO2 chart, which gives ~3ppm CO2 with my standing tap.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 09-16-2006, 12:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My plants love it and everything is now growing now that i dose EI but i haven't changed the CO2. I do use 4 liters of mix for each tank and according to the calculator I get 53-60ppm. I don't believe it either but if the calculator says I have 53-60, wouldn't shooting for 70-90 put me at levels I can assume are around 50-70 and take care of the algae? Or am I asking for trouble and possibly asfixiating my fish?

I am about to remove all my plants and go back to fish tanks putting all the plants in their own tank so I don't have to worry about the fish and trying to balance the tanks around them.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've found that my A. nana (which is directly under about 3.5 wpg of light) first gets a bit of green algae on the leaves which will eventually turn dark. I don't believe the dark spots are BBA but rather dead green algae. In any case it looks awful.

My advice: A] place the A. nana in a location without such high light or; B] if you're stubborn like me, clip all affected leaves (A. nana can regrow even if you have to clip all of its leaves as long as it has a good healthy rhizome), increase PO4 dosing to at least 1.0 ppm, and get some Nerite snails. AZGardens sells them and they simply love to hang out on Anubias leaves. I watched one completely clean an Anubias leaf of algae in a few hours
Old 09-16-2006, 12:54 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

re: CO2. I think 4L of DIY in 10gals is way hardcore, and suspect once you increase the efiiciency of the diffusor you'll find you can use half the bottles. (I've used 2 2L in 10gals in a tank without fish.) The fish will tell you if its more than enough.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds like mine Travis, exactly like mine. More snails huh, I will have a walking shell in a few month if I keep getting more snails but I like the way they look and maybe they will eat the pond snail eggs and keep them under control.

I can agree czcz that is a lot of CO2. It bubbles so fast even after 5 days of running that the leaves of my anubias and my wisteria are loaded with tiny bubbles of CO2 that is broken up by my AC HOB. I just need to keep my GH up so my fish don't hate me for 3 days after a water change.

I can't mess with my CO2 because my BN seem to be annoyed already in one tank. Maybe the one with BBA algae needs some higher levels but the one with my anubias is just fine.

Tags
algae, anubias

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com