Any Ideas for a 2.5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Forgive me if this belongs in the Aquascape section..

I have a 2.5 that initially was set up for Java Moss cultivating/holding. I stuck a few rocks and logs in there in an attempt to get moss to grow onto it naturally--which worked, btw--and ended up putting my betta in there. He loves it.
Here it is as of now.
picture192am0.jpg

But lately I've wanted to add a substrate (it's bare now), and possibly attempt Glosso. Lord know's I've enough of it in my 10 gal. Or perhaps stargrass, pygmy chain. Baby Tears (scientific name anyone??) if I could find any.

Also if I could somehow incorporate java moss into it. Most prbably have one of the two pieces stay in there.
Twigs? Is there any specs I should follow as far as twigs found outdoors? Softwood and sappy, fragrant wood is bad, right? Must be dead too... Any insight?

What lighting should I have if I'm going for low-carpeting plants? I have a piano-bench (desktop) lamp ..

I'm just rambling, but what I would appreciate is any input at all.

TIA!!

For my 2.5 gallon nano, I've got a pair of 13 watt compact fluorescent Bayco Worklights suspended using Cable Ties, S hooks, and a small wire kitchen shelf. It looks very DIY, but is still nice and presentable. One of these days I WILL get a canopy built for this tank.

This should give you the kind of light that you're looking for to keep a low carpet, BUT it's going to be a pain to maintain. These small tanks are constant balancing acts and bare a distinct resemblance to riding an extreme rollercoaster at times.

You might want to consider going for a lower light tank, and then using something like moss or Marsilea minuta for the carpet. I'd say that just a single 13 watt light would be perfect for this.

For substrate, I'd suggest Eco Complete or ADA Aquasoil. A 3L bag of Aquasoil would be enough for a 2.5g I believe. I have Aquasoil in my 3g nano and Eco in my 5.5g nano. :)

For other lighting options, you could get the Coralife Mini Aqualight. Its 18 watts, so I'm not sure if that would be enough to grow Glosso, but you could try.

^ Good suggestions. I use a 26-watt, 10-inch Catalina Aquariums hood (about $40) and Eco Complete, though I would go with Aquasoil if I were to do it over. Either will work great.

I bought a bunch of manzanita wood from here: http://www.manzanita.com/ Pretty cheap and works well.

"Baby Tears" typically refers to Micranthemum umbrosum, but sometime the same name is used for Hemianthus micranthemoides. Maybe thing about trying some HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) as a nice miniature ground cover.

dapellegrini, for that manzanita wood, should I go with the reptile perches? Sandblasted or is the bark ok??

I'd like to try HC. Would I be able to do that with 1 screw-in fluorescent 10-25Watt??

Foreground plants require higher light because they are farther from it... takes a brighter light to penetrate to the bottom. I am not all that familiar with HC, but I am sure 25-watts would be enough...

I bought the sandblasted manzanita. You will need to soak it or boil it before adding to your tank if you want to avoid yellow water...

Back
Top Bottom