Any recomendations on buying a test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bballsosh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like a test kit that will test my nitrates, potassium etc. basically everything that i need for dosing my panted aquarium. Also when i get my test kit would it be ok to use it on 2 tanks? thanks

No tests for potassium and you don't need one, almost impossible to overdose anyway. i would recommend the AP Freshwater test kit and a Seachem phosphate kit. This will give you all the test that you need. You can use the kits on as many tanks as you like.

thanks, one more question. When i am putting the ferts in my tank, how do i know how much to put in so that it will be the correct amount?

i have read that ut i am still not clear on how to actually put the ferts in the tank. I am going to buy the dry ferts from greg watson. I looked at the calculater but i dont know hot to fill it in with. if you help me out it would be great. thanks

As for putting them in the tank I just put them in a dixie cup with a little water and stir it up then dump them in.

As for using the calculator select the fert you want to dose, select add dry to tank. Put in the volume of the tank minus gravel etc. figure about 85% of the listed tank size. Type in the amount of teaspoon you want to add. It will give you the resulting ppm. Just play with the number until you get the ppm you are shooting for. If you are adding phosphate it is better to make a stock solution. What size tank do you have and what levels are you shooting for.

i have 54 gallon and what numbers should i be shooting for? i just want a healty tank. And i think i am 2/3 there since i have light and co2 so far. Once i ad the ferts do you think the algae will be reduced in my tank?

How much light? EI would be easier.

I would add .75 tps of KNO3 and make a solution of 5tps of KH2PO4in 250 ml of water and add 5 ml of the solution to the tank. I would add this every other day. I would then dose traces to .15 ppm FE on alternate days. Do a 50% water change once a week and see what happens. You can adjust from there.

what is ei? and the light is is a double linear strip w/ 2 65 wat lamps 6700k 30in . sorry for the many question but you have been really helpful and i am learning a lot. thanks

when i get the dry ferts can i just put them all in seperate containers with water and just pour that into a measuring cup each time i need to add to the tank?

"I would add .75 tps of KNO3 and make a solution of 5tps of KH2PO4in 250 ml of water and add 5 ml of the solution to the tank. I would add this every other day" when you say this should i just put all of that into the recomended 250 ml of water and store that in a container and every other day just pour 5 ml of it into the tank?

are there any ferts that i can buy that are already mixed and ready to just pour into the tank. i think this would make my life a lot easier especially since i am just a begginer?

You can buy the Flourish line. You will still need to do some calculations. It will cost you far more money than dosing the dry stuff. It is a good way to get your feet wet and the bottles are good for mixing the dry stuff when you decide to switch.

They are mixed you just need to figure out the amounts. Flourish sell potassium, nitrate, and phosphate as well as comprehensive which is traces. You do not want the Flourish labeled as traces.

You just need to figure out the amount to add. In your size tank they will go fast. You can get them at Big Al's or Dr. Foster and Smith.

how quickly will the nitrate one run out since using the calculator it says 23 ml that i have to put in. So which bottle should i buy. the 250 ml, 500ml etc.

The 250ml bottle would give you a bit over 10 doses and the 500ml bottle would give you a bit over 21 doses. Dosing 3x per week, the 250ml bottle would last one dose over 3weeks and the 500ml bottle would last 7 weeks. Really depends on how soon you want to be replacing the bottle and how much better of a deal buying a larger bottle is.

Back
Top Bottom