Any success stories using UGF and live plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afFISHionado

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone here has had success with undergravel filters and live plants. I have had an aquarium with such a setup for 3 months now and so far, so good. It is my 1st planted tank and I didn't do my homework and got the UGF and live plants at the same time. I have another obstacle also. I bought the larger size gravel with an average stone size of about 3/8 of an inch. It is a 29 Gallon with 56watts of flourescent lighting. I use CO2 injection using the DIY yeast/sugar method. I push Root-Tabs (Aquarium Pharmaceutical) into the gravel around each plant since I don't have laterite and I use a liquid fertilizer. Plants are as follows: 1 Large Amazon Sword with 3 small runners planted from it, 2 bunches of Myriophyllum Scabratum, 2 Brazilian Swords (I heard these are really marsh plants and will only live for a couple of months submersed), a dark green grass-like plant (each strand is about 1/8" wide), an onion plant (looks like Vallisneria) and 2 other small swords with ruffled leaves. The roots of the Amazon have grown all the way down through the 4" of gravel and the UGF plate and are starting to grow up the riser tube. Well that's it. Despite what I've heard about growing live plants with a UGF I seem to be pulling it off. Will they start going downhill at some point? Any input is appreciated.

Yes, BUT I have java ferns, and they don't actually root in the soil. I had an UGF for a few months when I first got my tank (I got the tank from my father-in-law). If you must keep the UGF, look into reversing the flow, so that the warmer water comes from the top of the tank and flows down to the roots. IMO however, UGFs are not really efficient and cause more problems then they're worth. When I recieved the tank, it had been running for over 10 years. Again, my father-in-law had no problems with plants that whole time because he had java ferns. I decided to remove the UGF without completely tearing down the tank (there were no fish in it at the time). It was the single most disgusting thing I have done in my life! Who knew fish crap could smell so bad? For this reason I am not a big advocate of UGFs.

Back
Top Bottom