Any thoughts?...suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digitalgerl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well as I posted before I had some type of algae problem. I completed a 50% water change, scrubbed plant leaves, removed some altogether, picked out the gravel that was green and did a thorough cleaning. I have also changed the hardscape.
Nitrates went up on second day-did a 20% pwc. All parameters now look good.
I have 40 gallon, 130 wpg CF, CO2 pressurized.
pH 7.0
kH 6
O ammonia 0 nitrites today.
I Dose with Floruish every other day.
PMDD 1/3 t every other day. ("PMDD mix is 1/4 c mix to 500 mls water"per their instructions). Just started adding several drops of Fleets for phosphate as perhaps a low level caused the algae (?)
Here are some "before" and "so far" pics. Any suggestions or comments?

I am going to move the 2 anubius to the gravel in front of the log.
Put 2 java ferns on the log to replace the anubius.
Thin the background corkscrew when it gets taller
Move the white and green long leafed plant to front of the log next to anubius and put a Madagascar lace in it's place (Middle left side)

Nitrate and Phosphate test kits come this week, finally!

I guess it's now a matter of running tests daily to figure out how to keep the algae out - I can see that a few of the pieces of gravel are becoming green on this 4th day. Lights are run 12 hours with a 2 hour turn off from noon til 2:00
Any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• spawning_pair_812.jpg
    spawning_pair_812.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 308
  • mytank8-19-07-edited_257.jpg
    mytank8-19-07-edited_257.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 306
  • 8-11_algae_tank_106.jpg
    8-11_algae_tank_106.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 308
Well, the pics are very small so I cant' tell what kind of algae you are dealing with. Low phosphate would lead to green spot algae, which is pretty much impossible to get off except with a razor blade. Some more description of what kind of algae you're dealing with might help. Also, are you adding 1/3 tsp of dry PMDD or 1/3 tsp of the PMDD solution? If dry, you're probably close, if liquid, then you're way under-dosing. ONce you have your nitrate and phosphate tests, that will help a lot. What brand of test kits did you buy?

Move the white and green long leafed plant
Hmmm.....this sounds suspiciously like a non-aquatic....better pics please!

Madagascar lace
Notoriously picky plant and difficult to keep algae-free

very easy plant but grows very slowly so prone to also accumulate algae in higher light tanks.

Not exactly all the answers yet but get some nitrate and phosphate readings and that will help a lot!

Hi thanks for a response. I purchased the Salifert test kits. And I am just dosing 1/3 teaspoon of the liquid PMDD solution. I guess that could be my problem. I just didn't have the test kits to know for sure.

lol....just saw that this white and green plant is indeed not a true aquatic. I have had it for about 3 months and it has a few roots. It looks very strong so I hate to just pitch it but perhpas that is what I need to do.

I am posting a pic of the aquarium gravel prior to the clean up effort. I took most of the effected gravel out and added extra that I had left over.
The algae does not have a bad smell, does not come off easily from the small pieces of gravel, there is very little on the glass, it seems to grow on the gravel first. I feed once a day and I have very good flow from my canister.
I am hoping that if I can do the EI dosing then I may be able to stay ahead of whatever kind it is.

Attachments

• algaee_963.jpg
    algaee_963.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 282
1/3 of a teaspoon of a mix that is 1/4 cup per 500 mls is essentially nothing! Your ratio of PMDD mix to water sounds about right (I do 25 grams, I think, to 500 mls) but I add anywhere between 20 and 40 mls (or CCs) of that solution a couple of times a week.

Also, remember that PMDD has no phosphate, and the algae you have does look like green spot, although I think that question was resolved in the other thread.

The Salifert kits are excellent, from what i've heard. I'm glad you got good kits instead of the junk that is out there. I think you will find that most of your macro nutrients are very low, but post some numbers and that will help a lot.

Thanks! Yes I was worried that I might overdose so I was using as little as possible til I receive my kits.... So... as a generality I should be using at least 1 Tablespoon = 20mls of this liquid mix. I will keep up the 6 drops of Fleet also - at least until I can see what test results show.
I had several suggestions as to what this algae was...so you think it's green spot? That's how I will proceed then.

I decided on the Salifert kits after reading on line and these seems much better for just a few dollars more.
I should have my kits by Wednesday and I will take measurements of everything. Could you take a look at this thread end of week and give me your opinion?

Will do!

I wouldn't worry too much about overdosing, unless your really go nuts and put the whole bottle in there....but once you get the test kits that will help. FWIW I don't even use the kits anymore, just base how much I need to dose on how the plants are doing. My tank sucks up nutrients so fast I don't think I'd ever have a problem unless I never did PWCs.

lol...good to know. I think since this is my first "planted tank" and high light, CO2 the test kits should give me an idea of whats going on and how fast my plants use nutrients. I understand the the EI system of dosing doesn't test either really but instead gives an idea of how much to achieve a certain standard. Hope I can get to the point you are at - but that comes after I understand whats going on. :)

I received my test kits today! I am going to post a new thread regarding dosing and targets as I want to avoid "learning a lesson the hard way" My fish see it that way too...lol

Back
Top Bottom