Any Tips for: Hemianthus callitrichoides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemurLad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting up a new tank and I'd like to get a carpet of Dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) in it because they simply look fantastic.

Anyone have tips for growing them in as a carpet?

Double points to anyone who can point me to a good source for them. ;)

~LL

A source, as in where to buy? HEMIANTHUS CALLITRICHOIDES

https://www.aquariumplants.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=po212

I trust both of those sites as far as customer service, I have never ordered live plants from them.

To grow them as a carpet, you will need high lighting. If you have high lighting then you will have to balance your tank with ferts and possibly co2 to prevent algae and supply what the plant needs to thrive. I have no personal experience with this plant :)

I order from aquariumplants.com for all our tanks and I've had nothing but great service and quality from them.

Now as for baby tears, I've tried both dwarf and the non dwarf and have had no luck at all growing them. And yep, tried them in different tanks, different lighting, different substrates etc. If you find the secret let me know ;)

I'm starting up a new tank and I'd like to get a carpet of Dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) in it because they simply look fantastic.

Anyone have tips for growing them in as a carpet?

Double points to anyone who can point me to a good source for them. ;)

~LL
grow it emersed so it spreed faster and gets rooted then fill the tank up.

High light, ferts (especially nitrates), and co2 will be the keys to growing HC. Give it these things and it will thrive. Slack off on any of those and it will not grow nicely. :)

Dry start method is good...just make sure you have the keys to growing it submerged.

Its a great looking plant when you keep it happy!

The dry start method looks to be fantastic! For a 5.5 gallon, considering I'd like to cover roughly half of the substrate in HC, how much would you recommend I order?

It's base is around 8x17"

Thanks very much for the tips everyone. :D I'm hoping to order the HC/substrate tonight. I was going to use Eco Complete, but have heard ADA Aqua Soil is also quite nice. Any recommendations?

~LL

Last edited:
that would all depend on who you buy from. i think that the pots are around 2x2 sections, not positive though.

i've bought mine from this guy, but he's out at the moment
The Planted Tank Forum

if HC grows anything like HM, it'll spread pretty fast. I started with a smaller than golf ball sized clump, within two months, it covered the entire bottom of my 10g and was about 1" tall... now 3 months after getting it, its about 2-3" thick and im having to trim it every week.

just depends on how much time you want to wait. you really can start with just one but the more you get the faster you can set it up. most pots seem to be about 2x2. if this was next month i could get you a bunch for a great price. check planted tank forum.

Some people have reported better sucess using Flourish Excel instead of CO2 as a carbon source.

Back
Top Bottom