Any tips or ticks on growing micro sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know it likes medium-high light, and good root fertilizer. As for fish, you can keep them in plant-only tanks. In medium-high light planted fish tanks, you normally have to dose additional fertilizer anyway. As far as I know, fish waste only produces ammonia which is turned into nitrates - which plants do like. However I don't believe fish waste contains all the compounds used in NPK+Trace fertilizer dosing.

Lighting and fertilizers make all the difference in the world. I've had good and bad experiences- noticed my fluval spec 5 did really well with eco complete substrate and liquid ferts and flourish tabs for micro swords, crypt Wendtii 'tropical'... Worst failure I've had was in a betta bow 5 with fluorite mixed with river sand and an incandescent colormax replacement bulb.... Hope that helps a little with your research

Lighting and fertilizers make all the difference in the world. I've had good and bad experiences- noticed my fluval spec 5 did really well with eco complete substrate and liquid ferts and flourish tabs for micro swords, crypt Wendtii 'tropical'... Worst failure I've had was in a betta bow 5 with fluorite mixed with river sand and an incandescent colormax replacement bulb.... Hope that helps a little with your research

Incandescent bulbs are never good for growing plants. You always want to stick to full-spectrum lighting.

The API Leaf Zone is good but also using Seachems Flourish Comprehensive along with the Leaf Zone will give you a much better all around fertilizer dosing. My Micro Swords were always slow growers even in a higher light tank so be patient. Also if you get a few plants the split them into 1/2" to 1" sections and plant each section in a checkerboard pattern you can get an area to fill in a tad bit faster. It's still slow but I found doing this yielded better results.

K ill pick some of that up too i wasn't too worried bout it going crazy cuase i have my dwarf pennywort coming too. 2 5x6 sheets kinda wanted to have two types of ground cover an let the two fill the low levels i did notice when i got the swords i added them an there now is a bunch of small round green things floating particles in my tank are they type of plants thats gonna grow? But here's the start so far

Attachments

• image-2312902376.jpg
    image-2312902376.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 91
Incandescent bulbs are never good for growing plants. You always want to stick to full-spectrum lighting.

Lol, you can grow java moss if you use plant substrate, flourish tabs, rooting tabs and weekly dose of excel... I agree, though, incandescent are worthless. I got lucky and a thrift store in my area area were selling zoo medics 6500K self ballasted compact florescent bulbs for $3 a piece- they work great as spotlights for high intensity lighting plants in low light aquariums when used with bendable desk lamps/ clip lamps ;-) and it gives some more options, another type of bulb I've found works pretty well in this situation is full daylight LED lightbulb, but I started getting algae if I left it on for more than 8 hours.

The API Leaf Zone is good but also using Seachems Flourish Comprehensive along with the Leaf Zone will give you a much better all around fertilizer dosing. My Micro Swords were always slow growers even in a higher light tank so be patient. Also if you get a few plants the split them into 1/2" to 1" sections and plant each section in a checkerboard pattern you can get an area to fill in a tad bit faster. It's still slow but I found doing this yielded better results.

:) hi rivercats!! First off I 100% agree with seachem flourish comprehensive plus a fert like leaf zone or nutrafin grow...

I'm not going to float off topic here, but if you get a chance I have a post about biotope tank build upgrade sizes and tank shapes that I would love to get your (+ anybody who thinks they can help) opinion on- if/whenever you can. Thanks, and good luck

For a cheaper substitute for root tabs, you can get some red clay. Thats what I use and my plants love it. It has a high iron content.

Back
Top Bottom