anyone ever try a canister filter on a 5.5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomherndon

Aquarium Advice Activist
my observations:

-HOB creates a lot of surface disturbance - not so good for keeping CO2 in solution and undirectable current may be rough on fish like bettas.

-Internal filters seem to occupy a lot of the space within such a small tank (not just the filter body, but the buffer between intake/output and tank residents). Some options allow for directing the output, but with varying specificity.

my impulse purchase:

I picked up a Rapids Mini Canister Filter, intending to use it on a 20 gallon tank, but realized it may overcome both of my reservations about mechanical filtration on a small planted tank. It lists* at 80 gph (prolly if it's pumping to itself). Even half of that is 8 turnovers an hour.

my assumptions for someone, anyone to shoot down ;)

1) I can use some additional tubing to seat the filter out of sight (head pressure may help lower the flow rate too).

2) I can cut very small gaps for the hoses (in one rear corner, out the other) maximizing the canopy "seal," minimizing evaporative loss and maybe even maintaining a higher vapor pressure under the cover than surrounding atmosphere? may be stretching that last bit. ..

3) no bubbling = less or no filter associated degasing.

4) included outlet can be used as is or modified (additional pores) to minimize significant current, creating ease for slow moving/long finned/frail leafed inhabitants

5) I can run the filtration section with variable type or amount of media to leave some nitrate available to plants.

fire away!

For some reason I have never been a fan of HOB filters. They are a bit bubbly/noisy and I always worried that they would "spill over" onto the floor if the media wasn't packed quite right. I used a canister filter on a 10 gallon tank. It was a Hydor Prime 10, rated at 80 gph. It kept the water crystal-clear and was totally silent. I really wanted to see how canister filters worked so I bought this one. I was surprised, though - I thought the water flow/turbulence would be too strong, but it was not at all. It probably wasn't pumping at 80 gph with all the media in it. Although I still like canister filters and considered my experience with the Hydor a positive one, I decided to take the Hydor off the 10 gallon when it became a betta tank.

I use this filter in the 10 gallon now: Duetto DJ-50.

Duetto Multi-Filters

It has both an adjustable output flow (it can be adjusted for more or less flow) and you can also adjust the flow direction. You can swivel the output spout a full 360 degrees. I used this same filter in a 5.5 gallon tank with a betta and also in the 10 gallon tank that used to have the Hydor on it. When the 10 gallon became a betta tank, I put the Duetto in it. I have been very satisfied with this filter in both the 5.5 and 10 gallon tanks. I didn't think it took up too much room in the 5 gallon tank.

I did see the Rapids mini canister filter online and was intrigued by it. You'll have to post your opinion on it. I'm no good with DIY stuff, but I think that increasing the head height will slow the flow rate if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom