Anyone know what plant this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am trying to figure out the name of this plant and wondering if it can be trimmed and planted

That's exactly what my Ludwigia Repens looks like. Red under leaves, green on top unless they are under very high light, then the tops also turn red.

That's exactly what my Ludwigia Repens looks like. Red under leaves, green on top unless they are under very high light, then the tops also turn red.

Mine are like that too. Except my leaves are not as wide. I just knew you would pop in on this thread. ;). You just love plants.

I think I'm a plant addict! Give me a choice in buying a new plant (not that I have room for any) and clothes and the plants win hands down!

When my L. Repens gets tall enough the entire leaf turns bright red. And the bigger/taller the stems get the larger the leaves are. I actually got these by mistake but they have grown on me... no pun intended... lol.

I think I'm a plant addict! Give me a choice in buying a new plant (not that I have room for any) and clothes and the plants win hands down!

When my L. Repens gets tall enough the entire leaf turns bright red. And the bigger/taller the stems get the larger the leaves are. I actually got these by mistake but they have grown on me... no pun intended... lol.

You are definitely a plant addict ( and that's good (y) )! How did you get the L. Repens by mistake? That's what happens to most people's L. Repens, the closer the leads are to the light, the redder the leaves are. If you look up pics of them, they usually show the bottom half is green and the top is red.

I ordered L. Glandulosa and when it came in emersed it all looked the same. Then as the leaves began to come in immersed you could see it there were two different types of plants. So that's how I ended up with some. Since my tank is 30" tall it takes some plants awhile to get tall enough to change color... lol! Plus it's not overly close to the metal halides so I was actually surprised when the top of the leaves actually started changing color. The stems were about 15" tall before it happened. It isn't a stem plant I keep but figured since I got it I might as well give it a shot and am actually glad I did. I like it more than I thought I would.

I ordered L. Glandulosa and when it came in emersed it all looked the same. Then as the leaves began to come in immersed you could see it there were two different types of plants. So that's how I ended up with some. Since my tank is 30" tall it takes some plants awhile to get tall enough to change color... lol! Plus it's not overly close to the metal halides so I was actually surprised when the top of the leaves actually started changing color. The stems were about 15" tall before it happened. It isn't a stem plant I keep but figured since I got it I might as well give it a shot and am actually glad I did. I like it more than I thought I would.

Phew.... 15" tall.... That's already pretty tall. How many gallons is the tank? So when you ordered them, you technically got two species of plants and payed for one. That's a good deal. ;). That's pretty far away from the lights for them to change colors. Another 15" to go. the halides were prob bright enough.

I have a 220g 100% planted. Lighting is 3x150w hid metal halides, 4x39w T5HO's, 1 special built LED fixture. I have very high lighting. The plants in the back of my tank grow to the surface and ones directly under the halides such as the Ludwigia Atlantis and Pantanal, along with the L. Glandulosa get the most intense colors you can image. But due to the depth of the tank intense lighting is needed to color up plants much lower in the tank. All my tanks are planted but this one is my baby.

I have a 220g 100% planted. Lighting is 3x150w hid metal halides, 4x39w T5HO's, 1 special built LED fixture. I have very high lighting. The plants in the back of my tank grow to the surface and ones directly under the halides such as the Ludwigia Atlantis and Pantanal, along with the L. Glandulosa get the most intense colors you can image. But due to the depth of the tank intense lighting is needed to color up plants much lower in the tank. All my tanks are planted but this one is my baby.

OMG!!!!!! That has got to be the biggest heavily planted tank I've seen! And that lighting is sky high! But yeah, since its 30" deep, you'll need that lighting. That's got to be hard to reach to the bottom of the tank to do maintenance, plant new plants, trimming, etc. I love L. Atlantis especially when it has excellent colors. :)
I'm left in awe..... :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom